Service categorie: Backup & Storage
The federal service bwFileStorage provides access to the Large Scale Data Facility (LSDF) for users of universities in Baden-Württemberg. It is installed at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT).
The LSDF forms the core of the bwFileStorage service and provides additional storage in the event that the locally stored storage space at universities and institutes no longer meets the requirements or new unforeseen memory requirements.
The service is operated by KIT. If you have any questions or problems, please contact the kiz Helpdesk first.
- The bwFileStorage service allows authorized users to use the Large Scale Data Facility (LSDF) at KIT.
- For each authorized user, a personal storage area is offered within the LSDF. The personal storage area is limited by a storage quota. The size of the storage space that a user / institute / location can have is limited.
- The Secure Copy Protocol (SCP), Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP), and HyperText Transfer Protocol Secured (HTTPS) protocols are supported for data transfer between user clients and KIT storage systems.
- The user is not allowed to store personal data.
- The automatically created snapshots can be used to restore deleted files or directories. Snapshots also provide the ability to restore an earlier version of a file.
- In order to enable disaster recovery in an emergency, all data are regularly backed up to tape. Users do not have direct access to this copy.
Members of Ulm University
24 x 7 x 365
The infrastructure of this service is operated by the KIT.
Limitations of the operating times are the responsibility of the operator and can be taken from the website for the service bwFileStorage of the KIT.
- To use bwFileStorage, you need a valid kiz account.
- Your account is unlocked for the use of the service by the necessary "Entitlement".
- Before using the service for the first time, a one-time registration with the KIT with the access data of your kiz account is required. Select "Ulm University" as home organization on the registration page. You are then directed to the Shibboleth authentication page of the University of Ulm.
- After registering, you can use the service via various protocols. For details, please refer to the user manual (PDF).
There are no charges or fees for this service at the moment.
However, the KIT is working on a cost model that may come into force at a future date.