Registration office/Foreigners registration office

All residents in Germany are required by law to register at the registration office of the town they move to within one week after arrival. Further Information to aliens law you can find here (only in German!).

Living in Ulm

Stadt Ulm (Bürgerdienste)
Kornhausplatz 4
89073 Ulm

Abteilung Melde- und Ausländerwesen, Dienstleistungszentren (only in German!) - for registration
Sachgebiet Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitswesen (only in German!) - for citizenship

Students coming from Non-EU-countries have to show their temporary visa and apply for a electronic residence permit (eAT) in addition to the registration. This can be done at the same office.

Living in Neu-Ulm

Bürgerbüro der Stadt Neu-Ulm
Petrusplatz 15
89231 Neu-Ulm

Opens external link in new windowAnmeldung (only in German!)

Landratsamt Neu-Ulm
Kantstraße 8
89231 Neu-Ulm

Opens external link in new windowÖffnungszeiten (only in German!)
Opens external link in new windowKontaktinformationen (only in German!)

Students, who live in Neu-Ulm, have to register in Bürgerbüro (even if they study at the Ulm University or at the Ulm University of Applied Sciences).

  • Non-EU members must register in the Bürgerbüro and apply in the Landsratamt for the electronic residence permit (eAT). In the Bürgerbüro you must present your filled out application for stay permission. The stamped application you have to deliver to the Ausländerbehörde in the Landsratamt, where you also must present your visa.

Outside Ulm or Neu-Ulm

Register at the city hall of the city you live in or ask there for the procedure. You can also inform yourself on the webpage of your city.

Documents you have to present

  • Valid identity card (EU-citizens) / passport (Non-EU-citizens)
  • Confirmation of enrollment or the admission to study (in this case you have to show your confirmation of enrollment later on)
  • Rental agreement
  • Data of marriage partners

You need to complete a registration form when going to register at the Bürgerdienste in Ulm. For registration in Neu-Ulm, no form is required. You also need to complete a form for application for a residence permit in Ulm and Neu-Ulm. The forms are available at the International Offices or at the Bürgerdienste Ulm and the Landratsamt Neu-Ulm.

When you return to your home country or move to another city in Germany you have to unregister at the same office where you registered upon arrival in Ulm/Neu-Ulm. Even if you move to another address in Ulm or Neu-Ulm you have to give notice of your new address to the Bürgerdienste/Bürgerbüro in Ulm or Neu-Ulm.

If you are a student in your first semester (Ersteinschreibung) and registering in Ulm for the first time (Hauptwohnsitz), you will be given one free Semester Ticket (for public transportation) from the city.

Documents you have to present to apply for electronic residence permit

You will have to apply for your electronic residence permit personally and at least 4 to 6 weeks before your temporary visa expires. When living in Ulm, you will have to go to the Einwohnermeldeamt – department: Melde- und Ausländerwesen (Kornhausplatz 4; 89073 Ulm), when living in Neu-Ulm, please go to the Landratsamt- Ausländerbehörde (Kantstraße 8; 89231 Neu-Ulm). In order to apply for the electronic residence permit your fingerprints must be stored.

Please bring the following documents:

  • 2 passport sized biometric photographs
  • Your passport
  • Neu-Ulm: your confirmation of registration
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of financial means (e.g. a confirmation of your scholarship or a statement from your parents documenting how much alimony they pay to you monthly, but at least 670,00 €) or respectively statement of bank account.

Charges: 100 €; for extension: 80 € (except scholarship holders of German public institutions)