If you do not have accommodation upon arrival, you can either check in at the youth hostel, a pension or a hotel while you are looking for a room. It is advisable to book a room in advance.
- Youth Hostel Ulm, Grimmelfinger Weg 45, 89077 Ulm, Tel. +49 (0)731/384455, Fax: +49 (0)731384511
- Youth Hostel Blaubeuren, Auf dem Rucken 69, 89143 Blaubeuren, Tel. +49 (0)7344/6444, Fax: +49 (0)7344/21416
- The Brickstone Hostel, Schützenstraße 42, 89231 Neu-Ulm, Tel. +49 (0)731/7082-559, Fax: +49 (0)731/7082-009
- HC24 Homecompany, Bockgasse 3, 89073 Ulm, Tel. +49 (0)731/19445, Fax: +49 (0)731/1761888, Link
- Online hotel service: www.tourismus.ulm.de or www.hrs.de
Youth hostel (Jugendherberge) in Germany means a non-profit, small budget hotel, usually with shared bedrooms. To stay in one of these youth hostels in Germany you need a membership of either the organization "Deutsche Jugendherberge" (DJH) or "Hosteling International" (HI). The annual fee for people under 27 is 7,00 €, old people pay 22,50 €.
In other countries, a membership may not be necessary to stay in one of these hostels. Especially if you plan to travel Europe it is worth to look at the HI homepage and compare the prices with normal hostels because you can get a discount (10 % per night for example in England) as a member of the HI.
A backpacker hostel is called in "Germany Hostel" or "Backpacker" or "Backpacker Hostel". For those private hostels you don‘t need a membership.