Visa & Residence Permit

Applying for a Visa (Before Departure for Ulm)

Depending on their nationality international students may be required to obtain a study visa for Germany. Please check the website of the German Federal Foreign Office and make sure to apply early!

  • It might take up to six weeks to arrange a personal appointment with the nearest German embassy or consulate.

  • It might take another 4-6 weeks until visa application has been approved!!

More information at:

Please contact us if you need an additional letter or fax to support your visa application. However, in most cases, it will be sufficient if you present the original of the acceptance notification which you will receive from us by regular mail.

Students from Europe

EU-nationals do not need a visa to enter Germany, nor do they need a residence permit to stay.

Students from Island, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland do not need a visa to enter Germany, but they need a residence permit to stay (can be applied for after arrival in Germany).

Students from Turkey need a visa to enter Germany and they need a residence permit.

Non-EU students, who currently study for a degree in another EU country with a Schengen visa do not need another visa to enter Germany (e.g. as Erasmus student), but they need a residence permit to stay. It is very important, however, that the visa in the country where they are taking their degree is valid for the whole duration of the mobility to Germany and that the return to that country is guaranteed.

Proof of Financial Resources

All international students who are neither EU nationals nor from one of the EFTA countries are required to apply for a residence permit valid for the duration of their study period at a German university; this permit is issued by the "Auslaenderbehörde" (foreigners registration office) of the city of residence in Germany. In order to obtain this permit students must prove that they have sufficient financial support to cover their living costs during their study period in Germany ("Finanzierungsnachweis"). The current monthly minimum is € 735 (as of September 2016).

There are several options how one can prove sufficient financial recourses. It may be necessary to use a combination of different types of proof.

  • A written confirmation (in German or English) from parents that they will take responsibility for all expenses related to the study period in Ulm. In addition to this confirmation parents have to prove sufficient funds by presenting a bank statement / bank letter (sample letter).
  • A scholarship confirmation by any official German or international scholarship organisation. If the scholarship grants less than 690 Euro per month an additional proof of financial rescources is needed to cover the difference.
  • A formal written commitment from relatives or acquaintances living in Germany (§ 68 Aufenthaltsgesetz) submitted to the German diplomatic mission abroad or to the respective registration office in Germany. Persons signing this commitment must prove that they are in a position to maintain this commitment.
  • A blocked account at a German bank from which one is allowed to withdraw a fixed amount per month (€ 735 or more). This service is not offered by all banks and is restricted to several countries (e. g. PR China).

The documents must be written in English or German or they must be accompanied by certified translations in one of those languages.

Frequently, already applicants for an entry visa to Germany are required to attach a "proof of their financial resources" to their visa application documents.

There are several options (please check with the German Embassy in your home country which one they want with your visa application).

Residence Permit (After Arrival in Ulm)

EU Nationals

After arrival students have to report to the “Einwohnermeldeamt” (residence registration office) or "Bürgeramt" (citizens' office) and register their address in Germany.They should bring with them

  • passport or national identity card
  • Proof of financial resources
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Germany
  • Proof of acceptance/admission/immatriculation at the university
  • rental contract
  • so called "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" (to be filled out and signed by the landlord or property owner of your accommodation)

EU-nationals do not need to do anything else, in particular they do not need to apply for a residence permit. However, they should safeguard the "Meldebescheinigung" (residence registration certificate), i.e. keep the original with their other documents in their room and carry a copy of it with their passport or ID card. The former "Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung" (EU certificate of freedom of movement) has been abolished in order to cut back on bureaucracy.