Higher semesters Human Medicine
Vacant places are given to applicants with respective levels of education and study times that are in accordance with the semester they apply for. The allocation of places is carried out in the following order:
- waitlist successors - applicants with an admission in the first semester at Ulm University;
- applicants who have/had a definitive total admission in Medicine at a German or other higher education institution in one of the EU Member States;
- lateral entrants - other applicants.
The study curriculum of Ulm University is decisive for applicant ranking. An applicant’s rank directly correlates to their relevant proven study achievements. In cases where several applicants hold equal study achievements, priority is given to those with the lowest number of semesters in the programme. Next deciding factor is the overall grade in the higher education entrance qualification. If the scores are still even, the decision is made by lottery.
Waitlist successors and lateral entrants are ranked according to their study achievements.
For those who change university/continue their studies, 50% of places are allocated by study achievements (ranking) and the rest by social criteria.
Selection criteria: certificates of achievement. If applicants are unable to provide these in accordance with the study curriculum of Ulm University, those applicants with a higher number of certificates of achievement are given priority.
First clinical semester
Selection criteria: M1 - the (preliminary) written results of Part I of the State Examination in Human Medicine (notification of the results). Please provide the actual certificate as soon as you receive it.
Second and third clinical semesters
Selection criteria: M1 - the certificate of Part I of the State Examination in Human Medicine. Within the same exam grade priority is given to applicants with a higher number of certificates of achievement.
Fourth, fifth and sixth clinical semesters
Selection criteria: certificates of achievement from the clinical study section in accordance with the study curriculum of Ulm University. In cases where several applicants hold equal study achievements, priority is given to those with the best overall grade of their certificates of achievement. If applicants are unable to provide these in accordance with the study curriculum of Ulm University, those applicants with a higher number of certificates of achievement are given priority.
The following documents must be attached to an online application:
- application form;
- data protocol;
- copy of your higher education entrance qualification (general German higher education entrance qualification/Abitur excepted);
- current certificate of enrolment with declaration of the degree programme, the number of semesters in the programme and if this enrolment is definitive, preliminary or restricted;
- copy of your letter of admission from the Trust for Admission to Higher Education (Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung) or from the higher education institution in Germany or abroad respectively;
- certificates of achievement;
- copies of (intermediate/definitive) exam certificates (certificate of Part I of the State Examination in Human Medicine - M1, applicants for semester 5 in the programme: notification of results in the written part of the M1) if applicable;
- applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam: the original of the APS certificate.
- applicants who change university: proof regarding social criteria (e.g. severely disabled ID card, certificate of residence together with husband/wife/child(ren), detailed explanation) if applicable;
- applicants who change university from EU Member States and lateral entrants: copy of the definitive confirmation of credit transfer issued by a Federal State Examination Offic (Landesprüfungsamt), and for applications for the first clinical study section the certificate of Part I of the State Examination in Human Medicine – M1;
- applicants who did not obtain their higher education entrance qualification at a German-speaking institution: certificate of sufficient German language proficiency (e.g. DSH-2, TestDaF 4 x 4, university entrance assessment examination). German citizens: certificate of recognition for foreign education certificates issued by the regional administrative authority (Regierungspräsidium).
Only those certificates (transcript of records, certificate of achievement, confirmation of credit transfer, certificate of Part I of the State Examination in Human Medicine) which the applicant has not yet received by the application cut-off date can be handed in until 15 September for winter semester applications and until 15 March for summer semester applications. Proof of German language proficiency must be received by the University by the application cut-off date.