Master of Science in Computational Science and Engineering
(This is a German-taught master’s programme.)
The online application is available during the following times:
for the winter semester 1 June to 15 July
for the summer semester 1 December to 15 January
Applications (including all supporting documents) must be submitted in paper form and received by Ulm University, Albert-Einstein-Allee 5, 89081 Ulm by the application cut-off date.
We do not accept applications and supporting documents/certificates sent by e-mail.
Important information for applicants
- Entrance requirements for the Master of Science in Computational Science and Engineering are:
a) The certificate of a bachelor's degree with examination results in Computational Science and Engineering or another programme with largely equivalent contents. Outstanding candidates with a degree in either Mathematics, Information Technology, Natural Sciences or Engineering obtained at a German or foreign higher education institution, or a qualification which is recognised as equivalent at the level of at least three years of study, can apply as well.
b) A bachelor's degree with an overall grade of at least 2.5, or study achievements and examination results achieved up to the application cut-off date of at least 140 credit points (ECTS) with a preliminary overall grade of at least 2.7. Applicants with a bachelor's degree with an overall grade of 3.0 or better, or with study achievements and exam results of at least 140 credit points (ECTS) with a preliminary overall grade of 3.0 or better, or a bachelor’s thesis with a grade of 2.0 or better are required to demonstrate their suitability for the master’s programme in a selection interview.
- Certificates in other languages than German or English must be accompanied by certified translations into German or English.
- The application documents become property of Ulm University and will not be returned. Therefore, please do not send originals. Candidates who reapply must resubmit the complete documentation; it is not possible to refer to documents on file at Ulm University.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Required documents Master of Science Computational Science and Engineering
If not stated otherwise, please attach the following documents to your online application :
- application form (original)
- data protocol (protocol of the online application)
- if you have completed a higher education degree: copy of the bachelor’s degree certificate (or a degree which is recognised as equivalent at the level of at least three years of study) in Computational Science and Engineering or in a related programme, as well as a transcript of records issued by the higher education institution stating subjects, grades and credit points
- if you have not yet completed your degree: transcript of records issued by the higher education institution stating all study achievements and exam results, including subjects and grades as well as a preliminary overall grade and overall credit points (ECTS/CP) obtained up to the application cut-off date
- form for additional subject-specific details
- if the study qualifications were not obtained at a German-speaking institution or were not taught in German, additional documentation is required:
- copy of the original certificates and copy of the certified translations into German or English as well as grading system of the foreign institution
- applicants from China, Mongolia, Vietnam: the original of the APS certificate
- certificate of sufficient German language proficiency (e.g. DSH-2, TestDaF 4 x 4, higher education entrance assessment examination) You need to provide proof of German language proficiency at skill level B2 by the time of the application cut-off date.
Bachelor's graduates of Ulm University
If you hold a Bachelor of Science in Computational Science and Engineering from Ulm University, an application is not required. You can go to the Studiensekretariat (student administration and examinations office) instead and fill out an 'application for change of programme or re-enrolment' (Antrag auf Studiengangwechsel oder Wiedereinschreibung) as soon as you graduate, given that your grades meet the requirements as stated in the admission statute (final grade 1.0 - 2.5 immediate enrolment in master's programme / final grade 2.6 - 3.0 or bachelor’s thesis with a total grade of 1.0 - 2.0 invitation for selection interview).