VCSELs and Optical Interconnects
At present, our activities are focused on novel optoelectronic devices in the 700 to 1000 nm spectral region, optical interconnect systems, and optical sensing. More in particular, we are working on
- next-generation high-speed VCSELs in on-board transceivers for use in modern data centers and supercomputers,
- high-bandwidth photodetectors for multimode fiber transmission systems,
- novel VCSEL designs, in particular the monolithic integration of phototransistors for optically controlled current confinement,
- spintronic VCSELs with high and tunable birefringence for future polarization modulation schemes,
- as well as electrical, thermal, and optical modeling and design of optoelectronic devices.
We love to identify new applications areas of VCSELs, e.g. in optical sensing and metrology, biophotonics, ...
If you like to discuss your ideas, please don't hesitate to contact us.
(apl. Prof., Dr.-Ing. habil.,
Dipl.-Ing. Electrical Engineering)
Institute of Optoelectronics
Phone: +49 (0) 731 50-26048
Fax: +49 (0)731 50-26049
A great deal of our work is being performed in the excellently equipped cleanroom of Ulm University.
We enjoy a fruitful collaboration with Philips Technologie GmbH U-L-M Photonics, which emerged from the VCSEL group in the year 2000 and which is one of the world leaders in VCSEL fabrication.