- Biology and ecology of African bats (Chiroptera)
- Old World fruit bats (Pteropodidae)
- Conservation and biodiversity
- Tropical ecology
- Land use and sustainable development
Since I finished my Diploma thesis in 2005 (“Home range and foraging behaviour of the African long-tongued bat Megaloglossus woermanni in Lama Forest, Benin”), I work as a free-lancer, conducting joint projects with the Institute of Experimental Ecology, Ulm University, and various other institutions:
- Movement ecology of flying foxes in Thailand and Vietnam (GPS tracking), Max Planck Institute for Ornithology, Radolfzell, Germany, in cooperation with FAO ‘One Health’ program.
- Reduktion des Kollisionsrisikos von Fledermäusen an Onshore-Windenergieanlagen, Dept. of Sensor Technology, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen. BMU, Germany.
- Assessment of bats and conservation implications in the Gola Forest (ARTP), Sierra Leone and Liberia, RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds), UK.
- Data analysis KiLi Project (Subproject 6: Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: birds and bats as seed dispersers and arthropod predators), Ulm University. DFG, Germany.
- Biodiversity baseline study on bats at Putu Range, PIOM Inc., Liberia.
- Desk study on the potential bat fauna in and ecological value of the Tonkolili area, Sierra Leone, Worley Parsons, UK.
- Assessment of bats for pilot study on bats and diseases in Industrie Forestière d’Ouesso (IFO), Republic of Congo, Robert Koch-Institut Berlin, Germany.
- Bat survey and environmental impact assessment in the Sabodala area, Senegal, SRK Consulting, Canada.
- Assessment of bats and conservation implications in the Gola Forest Reserve, Sierra Leone, RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, UK).
- Assessment of bats and their functional role as part of the ECOFOR project “Biodiversity and sustainable use of gallery forests in southern Mali”, funded by the French Ministry of Sustainable Development and coordinated by Laurent Granjon (IRD Montpellier) and Philippe Birnbaum (CIRAD).
- Applied research on the production of Carapa oil used as biological insecticide in the cultivation of organic cotton in southern Mali as part of the ECOFOR project in cooperation with HELVETAS-Mali.
- “Survey of endemic and globally threatened bat species in the Fouta Djallon Plateau for conservation priorities in Guinea”, funded by Van Tienhoven Foundation for International Nature Protection, Ulm University (BIOTA project) and Conservation International.
- Survey of small mammals (bats, rodents, and shrews) of Atewa Range Forest Reserve, Ghana, within the Rapid Assessment Program (RAP) coordinated by Conservation International.
Schaer, J, Perkins, SL, Decher, J, Leendertz, FH, Fahr, J, Weber, N. & Matuschewski, K (2013), High diversity of West African bat malaria parasites and a tight link with rodent Plasmodium taxa. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110(43):17415–17419
Weiss, S, Witkowski, PT, Auste, B, Nowak, K, Weber, N, Fahr, J, Mombouli, J-V, Wolfe, ND, Drexler, JF, Drosten, C, Klempa, B, Leenderts, FH & Kruger, DH (2012) Hantavirus in bat, Sierra Leone. Emerging Infectious Diseases 18(1): 159-161.
Weber, N, Birnbaum, P, Forget, P-M, Gueye, M & Kenfack, D (2010) L’huile de carapa (Carapa spp., Meliaceae) en Afrique de l’Ouest: utilisations et implications dans la conservation des peuplements naturels. Fruits 65(6): 343-354.
Weber, N, Kalko, EKV & Fahr, J (2009) A first assessment of home range and foraging behaviour of the African long-tongued bat Megaloglossus woermanni (Chiroptera: Pteropodidae) in a heterogeneous landscape within the Lama Forest Reserve, Benin. Acta Chiropterologica 11(2): 317-329.
Reports and non-reviewed publications
Weber, N & Wikelski M (2013) Movement and foraging ecology of Lyle’s fruit bat (Pteropus lylei, Pteropodidae) at two temples in Central Thailand. Project report to FAO & MPIO. 38pp.
Weber, N & Fahr, J (2011) Assessment of the bat fauna of Gola Forest, Liberia and Sierra Leone, with recommendations for future monitoring and research. Final project report to ‘Royal Society for the Protection of Birds’ (RSPB). 47pp.
Weber, N & Fahr, J (2011) Preliminary assessment of the bat fauna at Putu Iron Ore Mining concession, Liberia. Final baseline report to PIOM Inc., Liberia. 25pp.
Weber, N & Fahr, J (2010) Assessment of the bat fauna at Oromin Mine, Sabodala, Senegal. Final baseline report to SRK, Canada. 33pp.
Weber, N & Fahr, J (2009) Assessment of the bat fauna of Gola Forest Reserve, Sierra Leone, with recommendations for monitoring programs. Final project report to 'Royal Society for the Protection of Birds' (RSPB), Ulm University. 40 pp.
Weber, N (2008) La production d’huile de Carapa (Kobi) dans les forêts du Sud Mali (Régions Sikasso, Madina Diassa et Mts. Mandingues): potentialités et savoir-faire locaux. Final report to Helvetas & ECOFOR. 14 pp.
Weber, N & Fahr, J (2007) A rapid survey of small mammals from Atewa Range Forest Reserve, Eastern Region, Ghana, in: A Rapid Biological Assessment of Atewa Range Forest Reserve, Ghana, (eds. McCullough, J., Alonso, L. E., Naskrecki, P., Wright, H. E. & Osei-Owusu, Y.), 90-98, 178-180. RAP Bulletin of Biological Assessment, Vol. 47. Conservation International, Arlington, Virginia. 194 pp.
Weber, N & Fahr, J (2007) Survey of Endemic and Globally Threatened Bat Species in the Fouta Djallon Highlands for Conservation Priorities in Guinea. Final project report to the Van Tienhoven Foundation for International Nature Protection, Conservation International & Guinée Ecologie. 38 pp.
Weber, N, Newman, S, Dechmann, D & Wikelski, M (2013) Tracking fruit bat movements. The regional training workshop on bat ecology, Bangkok, Thailand, 13.-15. May 2013.
Behr, O, Hochradel, K, Mages, J, Nagy, M, Körner-Nievergelt, F, Niermann, I, Simon, R, Stiller, F, Weber, N & Brinkmann, R (2013) Reducing bat fatalities at wind turbines in central Europe - How efficient are bat-friendly operation algorithms in a field-based experiment? CWE (Conference on Wind Power and Environmental Impacts), Stockholm, Sweden, 5.-7. Feb. 2013.
Weber N, Granjon L, Fahr J (2010) Gallery forests boost bat diversity in southern Mali, West Africa. 15th International Bat Research Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, 23.-27. Aug. 2010.
Forget, P-M & Weber, N (2009) Carapa crop and oil production: to be or not to be sustainable and equitable. Joint meeting of ATBC and gtoe, Marburg, Germany, 27.-30. Jul. 2009.
Weber, N (2008) Production of insecticide oil from the Carapa tree (Kobi) in South Mali: traditional values and economic potential. Workshop on multiple aspects of conventional and organic cotton cultivation in West Africa, Ulm, Germany, 20.-21. Okt. 2008.
Weber, N (2005) Fouragierverhalten von Megaloglossus woermanni in Benin. German Bat Research Group Meeting, Blaubeuren, Germany, 4.-6. Feb. 2005.
Weber, N, Forget, P-M & Birnbaum, P (2009) Production of insecticide oil from the Carapa tree (Kobi) in southern Mali: Traditional values and economic potential. Joint meeting of ATBC and gtoe, Marburg, Germany, 27.-30. Jul. 2009.
- Dipl.-Biol. Natalie Weber
- Tel.: ++49-(0)911-7236257