Ulm University (Germany), Faculty of Natural Sciences, Institute of Systematic Botany and Ecology
The Institute of Systematic Botany and Ecology consists of two research groups. The group by Prof. Dr. Marian Kazda focuses on ecology of anaerobic environments, plant response to anoxic conditions and oxygen transport mediated by wetland plants. In the environmental research we investigate oxygenation in constructed wetlands and emissions of greenhouse gases from wetlands also in relation to restoration measures. The applied research is linked to biogas production from organic residues, nutrient recovery and possibilities for on-demand biogas production.
Also the other group of our institute under the leadership by Prof. Dr. Steven Jansen is working on subjects with direct link to the EduSapMan topics. The research activities relate to large-scale tree mortality and climate-induced changes in forest composition and function. In detail they mainly focus on structure-function relationships of xylem tissue and water transport processes in plants.
Both groups offers a wide range of possibilities for a master thesis within the ongoing projects. Specific information can be found on the web page of the institute or by contacting the respective group leader.
Below you can find a list of possible topics for research projects / theses (group by Prof. Kazda):
In the field of wetland ecology and management:
- Evaluation of fluxes of greenhouse gas emissions in relation to environmental variables
- Link between water table level and oxygen saturation in wetland soils and its implications for nature protection management
- Relationship between methane emissions, redox potential and oxygen availability in wetland soils
- Re-establishment of endangered wetland plants (in co-operation with the Botanical Garden, Ulm University and nature protection agencies)
In the field of sustainable use of natural resources and biogas from waste:
- Analysis of organic residues and their potential for biogas
- Recovery of nutrients from waste materials
- Dr. Lena John
- Dr. Philipp von Wrangell
“This homepage has been prepared for the European Commission however it reflects the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.”