Advanced Materials - Master of Science (M.Sc.)
The Master of Science program "Advanced Materials" deals with modern, innovative materials with special properties at atomic/molecular scale and a pronounced potential for application in science, technology and medicine. The program is strongly research oriented and offers students to focus on either "Nanomaterials" (nanoscaled materials with e.g. special electrical or optical traits or quantum effects) or "Biomaterials" (materials e.g. employed in cell culture, drug delivery, surgery and dental implants).
An international and interdisciplinary program taught entirely in English, "Advanced Materials" is designed for both international and German students, who have earned a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Engineering in physics, chemistry, biology, materials science, electrical engineering or other programs relating to materials/materials properties.
Master of Science (M.Sc.)Studientyp
- nächstes Wintersemester: 01.10.2018
- keine Zulassungsbeschränkung
120Regelstudienzeit (in Semestern)
Worum geht es in diesem Studiengang?
Students will acquire competent knowledge in the following areas:
- Hands-on experience in physics and materials science labs
- Scientific working methods and current research in the nano-/biomaterials field
- Scientific competency as well as professional skills in the application range of modern materials science
- Scope of the program: Scientific principles, experimental research, analytical methods and applications in the interdisciplinary fields of nanomaterials and biomaterials
- Emphasis on lab work: Students get trained in conducting scientific experiments, recording and analyzing experimental data. Lab courses deal with modern physics and materials, materials science, materials used in medicine and employment of modern analytical methods and devices.
- Independent research project: For completion of the program students work independently on an experimental master´s thesis project in an area/institute of their choice.
- Multidisciplinarity: The master program aims at getting together students, teachers and researchers from different disciplines in natural sciences and engineering science.
Educational requirements to be met by future students:
- Solid undergraduate education in mathematics and physics or mathematics and chemistry.
- Good basic knowledge in materials science is beneficial.
- Willingness to close potential gaps in basic knowledge in mathematics, natural sciences and materials sciences quickly. Students will attend demanding intensive courses that summarize basics and lead to advanced topics fast.
- Willingness to actively participate in classes, labs and seminars.
- Social skills to live and study in a multicultural, scientifically and personally stimulating environment.
Aims and Syllabus
e.g. Time tables; project work; downloads...
Pre-Master Course - Faculty of Natural Sciences
Positions in industry
- Research and development, production, service, sales and distribution of functional nano- and biomaterials
- Technological areas, nanomaterials: Optoelectronics and laser technology, semiconductor technology, energy technology (fuel cells, batteries, photovoltaics), sensor technology
- Technological areas, biomaterials: Medical engineering, pharmaceutical technology, food industry
- Specialized applications
Career in Academia
- PhD in Germany and all over the world
Tuition Fees are only applicable for second degree and international students. Further Infomation can be found here. Additionally the university and the students union (Studierendenwerk Ulm) currently charge administrative fees approximately amounting to 165 € each semester. Students admitted to the "Advanced Materials" program will be asked to pay these fees for the following winter term immediately after they accepted admission.
A student at Ulm University will face the following living expenses :
• University/students union administrative fee: ~ 165 € each semester
• Health insurance: 80 € each month
• Rent: approximately 300 € each month
• Public transportation (semester ticket): 115 € each semester
• General cost of living (depending on the lifestyle): approximately 300 € each month
Expenses per year: Approximately 8700 €
Expenses for the regular duration of the program (2 years): Approximately 17 400 €
Information on scholarship programs can be found at the German Academic Exchange Services (DAAD). Typically, students will have to apply for a scholarship one year ahead of time. Ulm University does not offer any additional scholarships for incoming students.
Proof of Financial Resources
Typically, proof of financial resources of at least 700 € per month will be necessary to obtain a student visa. Additionally, many German embassies require students to prove that they dispose of a specific amount of money (approx. 8000 €) on a German bank account before a visa will be issued. Please inquire at the German embassy in your country for specific requirements.
Students admitted to the programme are advised to book a room in a student dormitory. This request is a part of our Acceptance letter.
There are four dorms downtown (25 min bus drive to the campus) and one near the campus (walking distance). All rooms are one person rooms and fully furnished. You share kitchen (with all cooking facilities) and bathroom with a few persons; according to the type of dorm this can be 2 to 12 persons. There are no dorms exclusively for men or women, however some appartments may be women only.
Student Dormitories in Ulm
- The main dormitories are the dormitory complexes "Heilmeyersteige" and "Manfred-Börner-Straße" at walking distance from the University and the dormitory "Gutenbergstraße" downtown.
- overview of student dormitories run by the Studierendenwerk Ulm (students housing office)
Monthly rent: between 240 Euro and 400 Euro .
Helpful Links - Student`s life
Working as a student
- We recommend that students do not work during 1st semester.
- There is a limited number of student assistant positions (HiWi) available at the institutes participating in the MSc program “Advanced Materials”.
- There is no financial compensation for master´s thesis work done at University of Ulm.
- Info Work Regulations for Students (International Office, University of Ulm)
How to apply
Start of applicaion period:
End of application period :
March 15 *
Start of the programme:
late August 2018
* documents (hard copies) will be accepted
until March 31.
Academic Requirements MSc programme “Advanced Materials":
(subject to approval of the university bodies)
1. Bachelor degree
a. Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Materials Science or Electrical Engineering or in other programmes relating to materials/material properties.
b. Duration of Bachelor program: at least 3 years.
2. Bachelor course work in either Mathematics and Physics or Mathematics and Chemistry each basically 2 courses of 3 hours per week and semester or comparable course work to be evidenced by course information on official transcript of records.
3. Fundamental skills in natural sciences, materials science and/ or engineering sciences*
4. Proof of sufficient English language skills at level C 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
This is proven by:
- 7.0 points or better in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); if the score and Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level are given at the same time, the higher level of language proficiency will be recognised,
- Certificate in Advanced English or Certificate of Proficiency in English at the Cambridge exam,
- 490 (listening), 455 (reading), 200 (speaking) and 200 (writing) points or better in the Test of English for International Communication (scale 10-990) (TOEIC),
- 95 points or better in the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based (TOEFL iBT institution code 8407),
- Level III or level IV for UNIcert® or
GER C1 level or higher, e. g. indicated on the higher education entrance qualification. A language proficiency level of CEF C1 or lower is not recognized.
- an examination (university level) in the area of English language with an expressly stated C1 level, indicated by the Transcript of Records.
This does not apply to applicants whose native language is English.
* These essential skills may be gained by passing the pre master course offered by Ulm University.
Prospective students are expected to ...
• be willing to acquire a basic knowledge of German. German courses are part of the curriculum.
• be willing to study/live in a challenging, multi-cultural environment.
Applicants have to provide:
• Curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages)
• Statement of objectives/motivation (maximum 1 page)
• Two letters of reference by university lecturers from Bachelor University
• Transcript of records of all semesters/terms studied in the bachelor program
• Information on the grading system at Bachelor University
• Bachelor degree certificate
• English test score report
Evaluation of applications is based on:
• Bachelor program, courses attended, internships and work experience
• Bachelor grade or current grade point average/average grade and grades of relevant courses
• Motivation letter provided by the applicant
• Evaluation of applicant by university lecturers (reference letters)
The link to “Online Registration” (Admission Department, Ulm University) is available during the annual application period (January, 15 to March, 15) that precedes the start of the program in winter semester each year. Application documents (hard copies) will be accepted until March 31.
Data you will be asked to enter:
• Personal data: Family name, first (given) name, gender, nationality, date and place of birth (city, official name of the country), place of residence, e-mail address
• Information on your bachelor degree and the university where you earned it: University and country of university, title of your bachelor (Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering), subject of your bachelor program (e.g. Physics or Materials Science), number of academic years the program comprises
• Information on your current academic status:
Bachelor degree finished yes/no. If yes: Finishing date
• A data sheet for your records, showing the data you entered, will be created.
• Save it on your computer, print it for your records
• A cover sheet for the application package to be sent to “Advanced Materials” by regular mail will be created. It shows your application number and the upload link.
• Save it on your computer, print it.
• Sign in the designated space.
Submit the data online
• You will receive an automatic e-mail reply confirming your registration.
Please note ...
• Online registration alone does not represent a valid application. It needs to be complemented by application documents either uploaded or sent via regular mail.
• Access: The application form is provided by the “Advanced Materials” office. You may access to it during the application period here and in the course of the online registration procedure.
• File: The application form is available as excel file (.xlsx) and as open office file (.ods). Save the file you want to use on your computer.
Application form .xlsx
Application form .ods
If you need assistance to complete the form please check here
• Finish online registration first by submitting your data online before starting to complete the application form.
• Completing the form will take some time. Use either Microsoft Excel or an open office spreadsheet program. Forms completed in handwriting are not accepted.
Data you will be asked to enter in the application form:
• Application number you received during online registration (cover sheet).
• Information on the grading system at your university: Does a credit point or credit hour system exist? Maximum grade attainable and minimum passing grade for bachelor courses and for final bachelor grade respectively.
• Final grade of your bachelor degree or cumulative grade point average (CGPA)/current average grade of all courses you attended in the bachelor program so far if you haven´t finished the bachelor program yet.
• Courses in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biochemistry, Materials Science, Engineering Science (comprising classical engineering, biotechnology ,medical engineering): Course title, number of credit points/credit hours earned, grade achieved.
• Complete contact data of the two university professors who will write/have written reference letters for you.
Submission of application form
• Save the form on your computer.
• Send it as attachment by e-mail to "Advanced Materials": email@example.com .
• Send a hard copy version of the form along with the other documents to “Advanced Materials” by regular mail or upload files (see confirmation email):
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Documents you have to submit via regular mail or upload documents:
a) Cover sheet of online registration with date and your signature in handwriting.
Important: Your application is not valid without your signature on all documents that are asked to be signed: (a), b), e), f); see below)!
b) Application form: completed form, signed on bottom of page 5.
c) Transcripts of records for all semesters/terms of the bachelor program. Information entered in the application form has to be retrievable on the transcripts. Please highlight information on the grading system stated on the transcript.
d) Two reference letters by university professors (bachelor university). Referees have to use the template “Reference Letters for Advanced Materials”, if possible. Data and text have to be entered in the form by computer writing. The completed form has to be printed, signed by the referee and has to carry an original, official institution seal. Recommendation from company staff and other persons not affiliated with a university are not accepted.
e) Curriculum vitae: Your CV has to be complete (no gaps, has to cover time since bachelor graduation). It mustn´t be longer than two pages (important!) and has to carry your name and application number on top, your signature on the bottom.
f) Statement of objectives: Please state in your own words why you choose to apply for the "Advanced Materials" program at Ulm University and how you hope to benefit from it. Be specific about your personal interests in the field and your future plans. Your statement must not be longer than one page (important!). It has to carry your name and application number on top, your signature on the bottom.
Design for curriculum vitae and “Statements of Objectives”
Our suggestion: font size 11 pt, line spacing 1.0, right and left margins 2 cm
g) Bachelor degree certificate with final bachelor grade.
h) Score report of English test (IELTS of TOEFL, copy) meeting our standards (for details check “Admission Requirements”
i) APS-certificate (original): Has to be provided by students from PR China/
Vietnam/Mongolia only. Further information: APS China, APS Vietnam,
We send a confirmation once we received all necessary documents.
Applications will be reviewed by the admission committee if ...
• ... the online registration is completed correctly.
• ... we receive documents a) to f) (students from PR China/Vietnam/Mongolia: a) to f) plus i) in time.
Please note: …
• All documents have to reach Ulm University by the end of the application period - extension for regular mail (March 31) OR You may also use the link given in the confirmation email to upload your documents by the end of the application period (March 15)
• It is sufficient to send untestified copies of all documents. Don´t send any originals.
• In case documents are not written in English or German testified translations to English have to be submitted in addition to documents in original language.
• All envelopes sent have to contain a copy of the cover sheet carrying your name and application number to ensure that the documents can be allocated correctly.
• Application documents without a valid application number are not accepted.
• Do not send any certificates not related to your academic or professional qualifications.
• All copies must be easily readable, standard size and paper.
• We cannot return any documents.
Most foreign students have to apply for a student visa at the German Embassy in their home country. German Immigration Law does not allow to change the immigration status whilst in Germany; don`t enter with a tourist visa !
Be aware that the visa procedure will take several weeks (up to 6 months).
Please make an appoinment at the nearest embassy or consulate. Go there immediately after receiving the admission letter. The embassy will inform you about the details of your visa application. Usually you have to present the following at the Embassy:
- our letter of admission (Zulassung)
- our information for the Embassy
- a proof of your financial means (700 Euro/month at the least). Be prepared to show a bank statement covering the full expenses of the first year
- in addition to the above the respective embassy may require you to submit additional material - check with your nearest German embassy
The excellent frequently asked questions pool at the DAAD website is a good resource (select from drop-down menu at the top of the page).
Together with the admission letter you will receive detailed information on services we provide. We will assist you in finding housing, i.e. we will make reservations in the students' dormitories.
Upon arrival a senior student will meet and assist you during your first hours on foreign terrain. You will soon meet your new classmates and become familiar with your new surroundings.