How to apply
Note that the the application is a two-step process with the following compulsory steps:
1. submit pre-application first (please exclusively use Adobe Acrobat) - available only during the application phase
2. send your paper based application after receiving a reply
The application process consists of two parts - a pre-application phase for all applicants, followed by a full application for selected pre-applicants. A first assessment of your qualification will be given after you enter all the required information in our pre-application form. As a second step, after we receive your full application, we check whether your qualification is suitable for successfully attending "Communications Technology".
Please read the information on this page carefully for application requirements and prerequisites. If you are in doubt - just fill in the pre-application form. If you have any questions concerning the programme, please feel free to contact us either by electronic mail, phone, or fax.
We can check your chances of admission into our programme only after receiving the completed pre-application form.
"Beware of Plagiarism! In recent years we saw a large number of Statements of Objectives which have been plagiarized from the web. Such applicants will be excluded immediately from further selection. We are using a plagiarism tracking algorithm now, so expect our detection rate to increase even further.
We don't look for novelists and poets, we look for engineers (fine if you are additionally a poet ..). So it is perfectly ok if your statement is written in a plain language. But make sure
- that it addresses your personal motivation;
- that you tell us your reasons to apply to a university in Germany, and to the University of Ulm in special;
- that you tell us about your future plans."
Start of accepting pre-applications: July Deadline for completing the pre-application: September 1 Deadline for completed full, paper-based application to reach the admissions office: October 1 Start of the programme: March
Common requirements for all students
- Above-average performance in the completed degree
- Good knowledge in the English language.
- TOEFL score of minimum 570 in the paper-based, 230 in the computer-based, or 88 in the internet-based test
- IELTS score of 6.5 or better
- University of Cambridge ESOL Exam with level C1 or better (CPE) or grade C or better (CAE)
- The willingness to work in a challenging, multi-cultural environment
A B.Sc. or B.Eng. (or higher degree), usually of four year duration, in Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a closely related field.
The Master of Science programme Communications Technology builds upon prior knowledge, which you should have acquired during your Bachelor education.
In order to assess your prior knowledge and to judge by yourself whether you are familiar with the background material required and presumed at the Communications Technology programme, please carefully work through the following questions. Test your prior knowledge.
For German students or foreign students with a German university degree
- A Bachelor degree or a Fachhochschuldiplom or University degree in one of the above subjects
Admission Regulations or Zulassungssatzung (in German)
In December 2013, the University of Ulm issued the current rules for the admission process of Communications Technology.
The full text is available here.
However, only the German version (Zulassungssatzung) is legally binding.
Please note these important dates for the pre-application.
- Start of accepting pre-applications : July
- Deadline for completing the pre-application : 1 September
For applying, all applicants first have to complete the pre-application process (available only during the application phase) by supplying the requested information. We will assess your chances of admission and then inform you whether a full application is requested or not. Provided we would like to encourage your full application, please print the completely filled in and signed application form you submitted for the pre-application, attach the required documentation, and send it to us before the official application deadline mentioned above.
Please note that the pre-application is valid only for the upcoming term.
Please note that the deadline for the completed paper based application to reach the admissions office is 1 October
Earlier sending of the applications is highly appreciated.
The full application will have to include the following:
- Fully completed and signed application form (the one already required for the pre-application).
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score with at least 570 points (paper based), 230 (computer-based), or 88 (internet-based), or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) offered by the British Council with a score of 6.5 or better, or University of Cambridge ESOL Exam with level C1 or better (CPE) or grade C or better (CAE).
Note: All applicants must submit IELTS or TOEFL scores (irrespective of whether the medium of instruction at high school/university was English or not!). There are no exceptions!
- Curriculum vitae (already required in the pre-application)
- Personal statement of objectives (already required in the pre-application)
- Two letters of reference issued by members of the university. We do not provide a specific format, but prefer a personal statement. Applicant's university letter head or a similar format is recommended. If previous studies were completed more than two years before the application, one letter may be from the current employer.
- Photocopies of all official certificates and transcripts - including proof of grading system(s) (plus maximum and minimum passing grade) applied in your bachelor's degree.
- Photocopies of English or German translations of all official certificates and transcripts (including proof of grading system(s) (plus maximum and minimum passing grade) applied in your bachelor's degree), in case the language of the certificates is neither English nor German.
- Passport photo, for official use only (already required in the pre-application)
- If applying from China or Vietnam: Original APS-certificate from the "Akademische Prüfstelle" at the German Embassy
Please note that we only accept applications using the "Communications Technology"-specific application form. Applications in any other format or those which have not been pre-evaluated will be summarily rejected. Full applications have to be posted by postal mail to the following address:
Faculty of Engineering, Computer Science and Psychology
E-mail attachments are not acceptable.
After evaluation of your documents, and upon positive decision on your application, the University of Ulm will send you a letter of admission (Zulassung).
Reporting your TOEFL Score to Ulm
If you want Educational Testing Service (ETS) to report the TOEFL score directly to us: The University of Ulm's Institutional Code is 8407
However, if you use the following address (instead of the code) the TOEFL score will be sent directly to the Communications Technology office:
I do not have TOEFL score now. Can I send the TOEFL score later?
In case your TOEFL score is not yet available by the time you post your application it can be handed in separately. It must, however, be received by November 1! Please include proof of registration for a test date with your application.
Country specific application requirements
Due to Federal Regulations, special conditions currently apply for:
Recommendations added by the Communications Technology office exist for:
- Other African countries
In January 2007 the requirement for an APS certificate for applicants from Vietnam was introduced. The APS certificate issued by the German embassy is compulsory. As in China, where this certificate had already been introduced some years back, the APS certificate serves to prove the validity of documents. Important note: Documents for the APS procedure have to be handed in by the end of September or of March.
For more information contact:
Deutsche Botschaft in Hanoi, APS, 29 Tran Phu, Q. Ba Dinh, Hanoi
Phone: 04-845 38 36/7, 04-843 02 45/6
Fax: 04- 843 99 69
For Chinese applicants, a special and faster procedure for visa application is available since July 2001. Prerequisite for participation in the faster visa application procedure is that you have your academic transcripts checked by the Akademische Prüfstelle, an institution at the German Embassy in Beijing. You will also be given an interview of about 20 minutes duration during which your academic background will be tested. The language of the interview is English or German.
Please note - All students who wish to apply at a German university are now required to obtain the certificate issued by the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS).
Please include the APS-certificate with your application for the Master's programme Communications Technology at the university of Ulm. The certificate is valid for twelve months and entitles you to participate in the privileged visa application. This means that the waiting time for an appointment at the embassy will be reduced considerably and visa application is facilitated.
Fees for participating in the accelerated visa procedure are at present approximately 2500 RMB, which includes fees for the visum and the examination. For participating in the new visa procedure you have to apply at:
Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferates der
Deutschen Botschaft Peking
Landmark Tower 2, Office 0311,
8 North Dong sanhuan Road, Chaoyang District,
Tel.: +86 (0)10-6590 7138
Fax: +86 (0)10-6590 7140
Homepage: German Embassy Peking
The forms required for applying and additional information are available at the above mentioned address, the visa department of the embassy, the DAAD office and the Goethe-Institute.
Applicants from India are highly encouraged to include their GATE result with their application (if available).
The Certificate of Registration from the Pakistan Engineering Council should be included with the application.
Applicants from Ghana need at least a Bachelor's degree. The Higher National Diploma (HND) does not entitle for enrollment in the Master's programme. TOEFL or IELTS is required for all applicants from Ghana.
It is advisable to ask for a visa-appointment well in advance, possibly already upon applying, since waiting time may be very long in some African countries.
Visa and Immigration Requirements for foreign students
Foreign students have to apply for a student visa at their nearest German Embassy in their home country. German Immigration Law does not allow to change the Immigration status whilst in Germany; never enter with a tourist visa !
As soon as you know about your admission go to the nearest embassy or consulate. Go there immediately after receiving the admission letter. Be aware that the visa procedure will take several weeks. The embassies will inform you about the details of visa application as they apply to your country. You have to present the following at the Embassy:
- our letter of admission (Zulassung)
- our documentation of the course
- a proof of your financial means (700 Euro/month at the least). Be prepared to show a bank statement covering the full expenses of the first year!
- in addition to the above the respective embassy may require you to submit additional material - check with your nearest German embassy
The excellent frequently asked questions pool at the DAAD website is a good resource (select from drop-down menu at the top of the page).
What services and assistance is provided?
Together with the admission letter you will receive detailed information on services we provide. We will assist you in finding housing, i.e. we will make reservations in the students' dormitories.
Upon arrival a senior student will meet and assist you during your first hours on foreign terrain. You will soon meet your new classmates and become familiar with your new surroundings.
An intensive German class will be offered in March, just before the beginning of the lecture period. Be sure to attend this class. It will help you meet your new classmates and feel more comfortable when roaming around town.
You will get further assistance with formalities after arrival.