How to Apply
Start of application period 16th January of each year End of application period 15th March of each year Start of the programme late August of each year
Online registration and documents download
Please follow the link to the Online Registration.
You will be asked to enter the following data: personal data, information on Bachelor degree and the university where you obtained it.
At the end of the online registration, you will receive a confirmation email.
Documents to be downloaded before closing the online registration:
- Data View of your records showing the data you entered.
- Cover Sheet for the application package, it carries your application number.
- Application Form to be sent both via email and regular mail.
After completing the online registration, please proceed to fill the application form. The application form has to be downloaded at the end of the registration procedure, if you have forgotten to do so, please send us an email.
It is very important that the application form is filled correctly with information on the grading system at your university as well as information on the courses you attended. If the application form is not filled properly, your application will be rejected.
The filled application form has to be sent by e-mail (excel file is ok) to the address:
Please enter all the required data:
- Application number, received during the online registration.
- Grading system at your university:
Does a credit point or credit hour system exist at your university? Please enter the max. grade and min. passing grade.
- Final grade of your Bachelor degree or current grade point average (GPA) of all courses (if you have not yet finished the Bachelor programme).
- Courses details: title, credit points/credit hours earned, grade (it has to be consistent with the max. /min. passing grade entered). Please copy the title exactly as it is stated on your transcript of records, all the information entered have to be retrievable in your transcript.
Documents to send
Please send the documents listed below (only copies of official documents!) by regular mail to the following postal address:
- Ulm University
89081 Ulm, Germany
1. Cover sheet Please sign it and fill in the date. 2. Data View 3. Application form Printout of the form that was already send by email, please sign it and fill in the date. 4. Curriculum Vitae
- The CV has to be complete, i.e. there should be no gaps and should to cover the time period since you finished your Bachelor degree,
- insert your name, application number and signature.
5. Transcripts of records (copy!) All semesters studied in the Bachelor programme and exams taken have to be reported. If the transcripts are not written in English or German you have to provide copies of the certified English translation. 6. Official information on Grading Unless already reported in the transcripts, please provide an official document from your university on the grading system (maximum grade, minimal passing grade, conversion of letter grades to number grades). 7. Bachelor degree certificate (copy!) The final grade has to be reported. If the certificate is not in English or German you have to provide copies of the certified English translation. 8. English certificate (copy!)
TOEFL or IELTS certificate, or evidence that the Bachelor was completely exclusively in English.
Students are welcome to apply without an English certificate, however they should plan a test as soon as possible. A valid English certificate has to be presented at the moment of enrollment the latest.
9. Letter of Motivation
- state in your own words why you are applying for the "Biophysics" Master's programme at Ulm University,
- be specific about personal interests and future plans,
- insert your name, application number and signature.
10. Proof of professional training Training, internship or work experience relevant for the Biophyiscs master 11. APS-certificate (original!) Required for students from China, Vietnam and Mongolia.
Further information: APS China, APS Vietnam, APS Mongolia
You will obtain a confirmation e-mail once we received all necessary documents.
- We do not accept documents sent by fax or attached to e-mails (only exception: application form which has to be sent both via e-mail and by regular mail).
- All envelopes sent have to contain a copy of the cover sheet carrying your name and application number to ensure that the documents can be allocated correctly.
- Application is not valid if documents are sent without prior online registration.
- Do not send any certificates not related to your academic or professional qualifications.
- We cannot return any documents.
- Ulm University
Graduates of the University of Ulm with a BSc degree in Physics or Econophysics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology and Molecular Medicine, should use the application form "Antrag auf Studiengangwechsel / Umschreibung vom Bachelor in den Master" and bring it to the Studiensekretariat together with a letter of motivation. For more information please read here.
To be eligible for the "Biophysics" Master of Science programme, the following qualifications are needed:
1. Bachelor Degree
Bachelor degree in one of the following areas: Physics, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Econophysics, Molecular Medicine, Biology, Biotechnology
any comparable study course with essentially the same content at any institute of higher education in Germany or abroad.
2. Strong academic records Final Bachelor Grade (GPA in German grade system): 2.5 or better
if the Bachelor has not been completed yet, an average GPA of 2.5 or better on all the examination results obtained by the date of application (the volume thereof must be equivalent to 140 or more ECTS).
3. Succesfull completion of the pre-master course. The pre-master course will start on late August 2017 and will focus on the following areas: mathematics, experimental phyiscs, physical chemistry and cell biology. 4. Letter of Motivation A personal letter reporting the following:
- motivation of the interest in the master programme "Biophysics",
- reasons for choosing Ulm University,
- expectations for personal and professional future.
5. Good proficiency of English
TOEFL (ibT) test with minimum score: 95
IELTS test with minimum score: 7
any English Language Certificate corresponding to the C1 level of CEFR (Common European Framework Reference for Languages).
Applicants who are English native speakers don't have to submit any English test result.
6. Sufficient knowledge in physical and biological disciplines.
Evalution of applications is based on: courses attendend, grades and amount of credits obtained during the Bachelor in Physics, Mathematics, Biophysics, Biochemistry and Biology.
The pre-master course is a preparatory course designed to give you confidence and enough academic skills to ensure that you will hit the ground running and make the most of your master programme!
Purpose and Objectives
During the preparatory course, classes in physics, biology, chemistry and/or mathematics will be offered. Each student will be advised by the respective coordinator regarding which classes are to be attendend. Parallel to classes, there will be some practical lab training starts in physics, chemistry or biology in a state-of-the-art lab environment. Moreover, you will have enough time to get used to the life in a foreign country, before starting the full-time master programme. Parallel to the pre-master course there will be some intercultural activities intended to help you with the integration in a new cultural environment.
For more information, please follow the link to the pre-master course.
Please have a look at our update Admission Statute (2017).
Most foreign students have to apply for a student visa at the German Embassy in their home country. German Immigration Law does not allow to change the Immigration status whilst in Germany; do not enter with a tourist visa!
As soon as you know about your admission make an appoinment at the nearest embassy or consulate. Go there immediately after receiving the admission letter. Be aware that the visa procedure will take several weeks (up to 3 months). The embassy will inform you about the details of your visa application. Usually you have to present the following at the Embassy:
- our letter of admission (Zulassung)
- our Information for the Embassy
- a proof of your financial means (700 Euro/month at the least). Be prepared to show a bank statement covering the full expenses of the first year
- in addition to the above the respective embassy may require you to submit additional material - check with your nearest German embassy
The excellent frequently asked questions pool at the DAAD website is a good resource (select from drop-down menu at the top of the page).
Together with the admission letter you will receive detailed information on services we provide. We will assist you in finding housing, i.e. we will make reservations in the students' dormitories.
Upon arrival a senior student will meet and assist you during your first hours on foreign terrain. You will soon meet your new classmates and become familiar with your new surroundings.