Work accident - course of action

Beyond medical care (first priority), the accident should be documented as comprehensively as possible. This serves the purpose of transparency and traceability with regard to possible criminal and civil consequences.

  • Medical or emergency medical care for the casualty has absolute priority before the documentation of the accident as described in the following (see alarm plan).
  • Inform the emergency services - according to the severity of the accident. When in doubt, do not hesitate to call an emergency doctor (112).
  • Under no circumstances may the casualty seek medical assistance alone or in the company of a colleague in a private vehicle.
  • The treatment of a work or commuting accident should always be carried out by a accident insurance consultant (doctor recognised by the employers' occupational accident insurance association).
  • Personal details.
  • When and where did the accident occur.
  • Information on witnesses of the accident.
  • Comprehensive documentation of the events as soon as possible by means of (digital) photography.
  • Secure objects and materials involved in the accident and, if possible, do not alter them as long as they do not present a hazard.
  • Report the accident.
  • Immediately inform the responsible occupational safety specialist or their substitute in department V-5.

If in addition to personal injury you have also suffered damage to property, please contact Department I-2 Legal and Organisational Affairs.

Accidents of civil servants while on duty or commuting who have suffered bodily injury must be reported to their disciplinary superior within 2 years of the accident. Please contact your respective HR officer in Department III-1 HR Services.