kiz - Operation in Pandemic Level 3.3
Since 01.07. the pandemic level 3.3 is valid at the university. kiz services are provided in compliance with the hygiene and distance regulations. This can further lead to restrictions up to non-availability in a few cases. However, most of the services are available, possibly with modalities deviating from normal operation.
In principle, all of our employees can be reached, but compliance with the protection regulations may require alternating home office and presence.
Current information on selected services
Moodle learning platform
Zoom for online courses
Zoom is the general video conferencing system of the University of Ulm, which is also integrated into the Moodle learning platform. It is the primary platform for online events that cannot be held in presence.
In the university's e-learning portal, which is jointly operated by ZLE and kiz, you will find the following handouts and FAQ:
In addition, you can find further information (e.g. on data protection and security) on the university's general Zoom support page.
Zoom for videoconferences
For videoconferences from the workplace or home office and for online lectures, the kiz will offer the Zoom service as of the summer semester 2021. This replaces the previous services Webex for general video conferencing and BBB for teaching courses.
Please also note the information on data privacy & security compiled by the University's Data Privacy Team.
Online video with Opencast and Opencast Studio
Opencast is our online video platform, which is also integrated into Moodle. Opencast is the primary way to provide pre-produced videos in Moodle courses.
You can also use Opencast Studio to produce simple screencasts and publish them directly to your Moodle course.
Opencast Studio Instruction Manual
Handouts for online teaching
In cooperation with the kiz the Center for Teaching Development provides several handouts and support services for online teaching:
In addition, you will have the opportunity to talk directly to experts about your online teaching in our joint consultation hours:
HandBrake: Tool for video compression
Online teaching: digital semester collections
To support online teaching during the emergency operation of the university, you can use digital semester collections. For this purpose we set up a scanning service for the digitisation of library media.
How do I get to a digital semester collection and what is the procedure?
You can send us the desired digital semester record by filling out the web form. Please enter the desired titles there. We will try to license the titles as e-books. We also make scans from printed copies.
As soon as the licenses, scans or copies are available, we will compile the semester collection and make it available virtually. In order to link the semester records, we will send you a corresponding link. You can use this link in your Moodle course without hesitation.
Rocket.chat is a chat platform where individuals and teams can exchange messages. The kiz offers Rocket.Chat as a university-wide service for all employees and students with a kiz account. The server runs on the local infrastructure of the kiz.
- At the moment it is a "test operation"
- Rocket.chat only works with a kiz account
- The chat content is automatically deleted after 180 days. Old messages are therefore not retained.
- Audio/video chat is deactivated. Please use the official solutions of the kiz: Cisco WebEx Meetings for video conferencing of working groups and project groups and in the field of online teaching the solution Big Blue Button (BBB) provided by Moodle.
- The push messages to mobile devices are currently deactivated.
Assistance with network problems during audio and video conferencing
During video and/or audio conferences, interference may occur repeatedly. Here we provide assistance in troubleshooting any connection problems that may occur.
During pandemic stage 3.1 there are some restrictions in the library centre of the kiz.
- As usual all electronic resources of the kiz are available independent of location. Activate your VPN connection already before the literature search.
- The electronic express order as well as the Elsevier emergency supply will be maintained.
- Purchase requests (primarily e-books) can still be processed.
- Print media can be ordered and reserved.
From 2 Nov. onwards, Mon - Thu 10 a.m. - 8 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., immediate collection of ordered media and self-loan of books is possible.
Printouts can also be collected from the two Follow-Me printers.
From 11 July to 15 August and from 2 Nov. 2020, the library is also open on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Books can be returned in front of the main entrance (return box: 24/7 = around the clock).
- Orders for articles from print journals in the kiz stock are possible, preferably as scan.
- Since 4 May interlibrary loan orders have again been possible via the catalogue::lokal.
- The learning location Library Central opens from 2 Nov.: Mon - Thu 10 a.m. - 8 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Sat 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
From 22 Oct. up to 90 reading places will be offered.
However, online reservation of the 90 reading places is compulsory.
- The Helmholtzstr. library is open since 20 July Mon - Fri 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
On site registration for the 30 reading places is necessary.
Rocket.Chat - Chatsystem for Ulm University
Questions about our services
Please inform yourself first on our websites!
Contact to management & administration