kiz - Operation in Pandemic Level 3
Since 15.06. the pandemic level 3 is valid at the university. kiz services are provided in compliance with the hygiene and distance regulations. This can further lead to restrictions up to non-availability in a few cases. However, most of the services are available, possibly with modalities deviating from normal operation.
In principle, all of our employees can be reached, but compliance with the protection regulations may require alternating home office and presence.
Current information on selected services
Moodle learning platform
The Moodle learning platform is in normal operation. Course requests and support requests will be processed normally, but please expect a slightly longer processing time.
The starting point for online teaching in the summer semester 2020 is the mandatory learning platform Moodle. All organisational information as well as all materials (e.g. scripts, literature, links) are to be made available via Moodle.
Please also note the information pages "Alternatives to classroom teaching" of the Center for Teaching Development and the prepared Moodle demo courses:
Online seminars with BigBlueButton
BigBlueButton, a web-based conference tool for seminars and small online events, has been integrated into Moodle. It is the primary platform for seminars and other interactive event formats in the summer semester 2020.
Online video with Opencast and Opencast Studio
We have realized a deeper integration of Moodle with our Opencast lecture recording system.
The Opencast video interface is now the primary way to provide video in Moodle courses.
Providing video files, even small videos, directly in Moodle courses should be avoided if possible. This has the goal of keeping the burden of delivering videos away from the Moodle server in the online summer semester 2020.
Furthermore, you will be able to produce very simple browser-based screencasts with Opencast Studio and publish them directly in your Moodle course.
Opencast Studio Instruction Manual
Online teaching: digital semester collections
To support online teaching during the emergency operation of the university, you can use digital semester collection in the coming summer semester. For this purpose we are setting up a scanning service for the digitisation of library media.
How do I get to a digital semester collection and what is the procedure?
You can send us the desired digital semester record by filling out the web form. Please enter the desired titles there. We will try to license the titles as e-books. We also make scans from printed copies.
As soon as the licenses, scans or copies are available, we will compile the semester collection and make it available virtually. In order to link the semester records, we will send you a corresponding link. You can use this link in your Moodle course without hesitation.
Videoconferences with Cisco Webex
As a replacement for the DFNconf which is meanwhile overloaded at daytime the kiz has set up a scalable video conferencing solution via the external service provider Cisco Webex. For this purpose a limited number of user licenses is available.
Please note that Webex is not intended to be used for holding courses (lectures, seminars, etc.). It is exclusively a tool for holding meetings of working and project groups, committee meetings and the like.
Please read the information on data protection according to Art. 13 DSGVO.
Rocket.chat is a chat platform where individuals and teams can exchange messages. The kiz offers Rocket.Chat as a university-wide service for all employees and students with a kiz account. The server runs on the local infrastructure of the kiz.
- At the moment it is a "test operation"
- Rocket.chat only works with a kiz account
- The chat content is automatically deleted after 180 days. Old messages are therefore not retained.
- Audio/video chat is deactivated. Please use the official solutions of the kiz: Cisco WebEx Meetings for video conferencing of working groups and project groups and in the field of online teaching the solution Big Blue Button (BBB) provided by Moodle.
- The push messages to mobile devices are currently deactivated.
Assistance with network problems during audio and video conferencing
During video and/or audio conferences, interference may occur repeatedly. Here we provide assistance in troubleshooting any connection problems that may occur.
During the closing of the library center of the kiz there are some restrictions.
- As usual all electronic resources of the kiz are available independent of location. Activate your VPN connection already before the literature search.
- The electronic express order as well as the Elsevier emergency supply will be maintained.
- Purchase requests (primarily e-books) can still be processed.
- It is currently possible to order, reserve and/or "borrow" physical media. This means that you will receive the book from our library by in-house mail or "Deutsche Post" to the address stored in "my account".
- All loan periods (including media which already have late fees until 17.3.20) were extended until 22.4.2020.
- It is possible to return the books in front of the main entrance (return box - 24/7).
- There are no new late fees for the duration of the closing time.
- Existing reservations for borrowed media are retained.
- Deliveries are available for you until one week after resumption of operations.
- Orders for articles from print journals are possible, preferably as scan.
- Our interlibrary loan service had to be temporarily suspended.
- Objects left in lockers can be returned on request.