DFNconf - Conference Service in the German Research Network
Who is the DFN?
The DFN-Association is the national and and international Internet service provider of German colleges and universities.
DFN offers a range of communication services, including the conference service of the German Research Network (DFNconf).
What does this service offer?
DFNconf offers the possibility to conduct video, audio and web conferences. The service is tailored to the needs of research and teaching and provides the central technical components required.
Why is DFNconf recommended?
- Tele-conferencing, simultaneously with up to 23 locations (current setting)
- Streaming to a large audience
- Conference calls
- The German universities and colleges each have good connections to the DFN network. This in turn has good connections to the other international scientific networks.
- The central server infrastructure is powerful and is expanded as needed.
The user can use a variety of possible end devices
- Laptop with web browser (recommended: Chrome, Firefox (in this order)) and appropriate camera and microphone technology (depending on the number of local callers)
- Smartphone (download a corresponding app from the respective store)
- Commercial Videoconference Studio (using H.323 standard or SIP)
Skype for Business (not to be confused with Skype (Consumer))
Personal data is handled in accordance with the legal regulations on data protection applicable in the Federal Republic of Germany. Clear and concise regulations in „Privacy poliy information on the DFNconf service“ .
- For organizers: As an employee of the University of Ulm, you can easily register as an organizer at the DFNconf portal. For this purpose the kiz account is sufficient. There you can create your own meeting rooms and get the dial-in information.
- For Participants: He gets an email from the organizer with the access information: a link, which he usually simply enters into the web browser (Chrome or Firefox) on his laptop. If he sits alone in front of his laptop, a simple webcam for the picture and a headset for the sound is sufficient as additional equipment.
- Handling: Both the service portal for the organizer and the software for the participants (on the laptop) are web-based and accordingly easy to use.
DFN provides the central service infrastructure. The kiz offers a local conact person who especially helps and advises during the start and can also be available as a "sparring partner".
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Service Points are locations where you can visit us personally.
kiz from A to Z