Preparing a Video Conference
- Our VC-equipment: Tandberg 6000
- The following videoconferencing standards are supported:
- H.320 (VC via ISDN-Network)
- H.323 (VC via Internet)
- Our VC terminal supports point to point as well as multipoint calls for up to four participating sites (including our own). Mixed use of ISDN and the internet is possible. Then the connections to the external partners have to be of the same bandwidth.
- Bandwidth: up to 3 Mbps (megabit per second) for a point-to-point connection
- A multi-page conference with up to 3 additional external partners at 768 kbps each is also possible.
Information needed for scheduling
Please provide us with the following event-specific and site-specific information from all participants.
Event specific information
- Date and start of the conference (local time in Ulm and coordinated world time; calculation fo the time zone)
- Time of connection set up (at least 10 minutes before the conference)
- Planned end of conference
- Required VC standard (H.320 (ISDN) or H.323 (Internet))
- Required bandwidth
- Do you need a second camera to show documents or prototypes?
- Who will call whom? (in case of using ISDN: the caller pays the connection fee)
- Is there also a demand for data conferencing, i.e. a PowerPoint presentation, application sharing? Collaborative working on a project paper?
- There are several ways to do that, which must be defined beforehand. Our recommendation: Use of Microsoft Netmeeting (area for sharing programs) or (especially in case of firewall difficulties) tightvnc
- Determining who wants to present something to whom?
- How is the presentation displayed with the conference topics (PC monitor or beamer)?
- IP adress of PC for data conferencing at each page
- Although the VC standards are reliable and stable, there are major differences in implementation. We therefore recommend that you hold a test conference for new constellations: For this we need the date and time for the test conference (local time and UTC).
- For several distributed locations: MCU (multipoint conferencing unit) to be used?
- If necessary: Gatekeeper or dialing sceme to be used
Site specific for Ulm University
- Location of videoconference room: Central Library, Albert-Einstein-Allee 37, room 1.101
- Adress of videoconference system
- Internet: 18.104.22.168
- PC's IP adress for presentations: 134.60.39.x
- Phone in VC room: +49 (0)731/50-31470
- Technical Contact
- media engineering
- Phone: +49 (0)731/50-31421
- Alternatively you can always contact our Central Helpdesk.
- Contact person for the organization of the VC (one contact person for each conference partner). Coordination of date and time.
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Service Points are locations where you can visit us personally.
kiz from A to Z