Service category: Consulting & Help
In general, the Library’s Reference and Information Services team provides second level support in issues relevant to information retrieval, document delivery, and library use. The Information Desk in the central library also directly handles a broad range of patron questions about library services.
- General and library-related assistance: administrative information (opening hours, etc.); technical guidance, e.g. scanner instruction; reading room orientation (e.g. Where can I find books on computer science?); help with the library catalog, such as explaining where a particular book is shelved and catalog self-service functions (renewals and reservations); reference assistance (thematic questions, citation verifications, etc.)
- Support in selecting and searching the correct catalog or database for your needs
- Information about e-resources (e-journals, e-books, full-text databases and portals, access to licensed e-media, repositories, electronic table of contents of printed books and other media, etc.)
- Local, regional, national, and international document delivery (including express orders, handling problem interlibrary loan orders, information about commercial document delivery services)
- Guidance in carrying out a literature search: demonstrate search strategies in local and national online catalogues; introduction to special and interdisciplinary database thesauri, meta-catalogs (e.g. KVK), information portals, etc.
- Theses search in the Deutsche Nationalbibliographie
All individuals and institutions who qualify to use kiz services (see Benutzungsordnung).
Mon – Fri 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. (office hours)
24 x 7 x 365 (e-mail, online forms, fax)
We also offer appointments during and after office hours.
Charges / Fees
Reference consultations are free of charge. Fees apply for services such as photocopies, scans, interlibrary loan, or Document Delivery Service orders that may result from the consultation.
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Service Points are locations where you can visit us personally.
kiz from A to Z