Service category: Library Use
Lending information resources is a key library function. The Library primarily serves the University community, but we additionally offer our services to the wider academically interested public.
Materials from the general collection are arranged in systematic order according to subject fields and most are kept on open shelves in two library locations: the central library (BZ) and the departmental library Helmholtzstraße (HH). There are also separate special collections such as the textbook collection (BZ) which contains multiple copies of heavily used textbooks for all subjects taught at the University, course reserves (BZ and HH), and studium generale (BZ). For standard loans, patrons can use the self-service machines available in each of our libraries.
- Lending and return of materials (including items for reading room use only)
- Lending of reserved materials (local and interlibrary loans)
- Handing out ordered copies of articles (copy delivery by internal or external mail upon request)
- Borrower first-time registration (external patrons) and University chip card activation (University members)
- Handling of fee payments with chip card
- Processing the reports of lost or damaged items
- Managing study carrel reservations and room keys
- Handling of circulation related requests, item renewal, course reserves, and office reference collections
- Sale point for discarded books (esp. RRZN-Handbücher)
- Processing of literature requests (loan, article copy)
- Complaint escalation
- Help and assistance when the Information Desk in not staffed
- Instruction on how to use the self-service terminals
- Equipment assistance: zeta scanners, microfilm scanner, photocopiers, printers
- Pickup point for material from Printing Services (outside the Service Point Printing Services office hours)
- Enforcement of reading room rules (bags, open beverages, etc.)
- Book return box
All individuals and institutions who qualify to use kiz services (see Benutzungsordnung).
Please consult our Overview (PDF) for the central library Circulation Desk and reading room opening hours. Online services and a book return box are available 24/7.
- University members with a kiz account must present their University ID at a Circulation Desk in order to have their account activated.
- External users must apply for a kiz service card. The first step is to complete the Online-Registrierung provided through the Higher Education Services Portal. Afterwards registration must be completed by presenting a personal identity card or passport at a Circulation Desk.
There is a charge for the following services:
- Orders through our Photocopy and Digital Document Service
- Issue of a kiz service card
- Failure to return or renew material by the due date
- Replacement of damaged or lost material
- Postal delivery
Please refer to the latest Entgelt- und Gebührenordnung (PDF).
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Service Points are locations where you can visit us personally.
kiz from A to Z