Service Category: Network & Connectivity
The Internet connection provides the basis for the entire data communication of Ulm University. This data communication is also used by the institutions supplied by Ulm University both to the BelWü state university network and to other national and international commercial and research networks ("Internet").
- Connection to the BelWü state university network via two redundant routers with a data rate of 10 GBit/s each.
- The Points of Presence of the BelWü installed at the university are connected to the BelWü in Stuttgart with route redundant fiber optic lines.
- Support of the IP protocols IPv4 and IPv6.
- All members and institutions of Ulm University.
- Authorized external users of state services where the application servers and other relevant systems are hosted in Ulm.
- External facilities (e.g. student accommodations of the Studierendenwerk), which are connected to the BelWü by a contract with Ulm University.
24 x 7 x 365
You cannot request the use of the service separately. By setting up a kiz account, you have access to various services that use the Internet connection (e.g. e-mail, WLAN), depending on the roles defined by identity management. With the setup of a LAN access (IP address) for mobile devices such as desktops and servers, the Internet connection can also be used automatically.
Charges / Fees
The use of the service is free of charge for students. The same applies to other non-employees of the university (e.g. guests, alumni), as long as they are allowed to use services that use the Internet connection.
Institutions of the university and other external institutions (hospitals, affiliated institutes) as well as their employees have to pay for this service. For this purpose, the total annual costs of the connection to the BelWü state university network are allocated to the facilities in accordance with a personnel key independent of use. The personnel key is determined by the university administration and the costs are automatically charged to the respective cost centre each year.
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Service Points are locations where you can visit us personally.
kiz from A to Z