Open Access Funding at Ulm University
Please check the funding requirements and the additional information before submitting your open access article.
Since 01.11.2020 there are uniform funding conditions across all four faculties of the university.
Publications that get published after 1.1.2022 can be subsidized with 700 € from central DFG funds.
The local funding criteria of the university's open access fund remain unchanged after deduction of the DFG grant.
Open Access Funding
- Only publications that are published in original OA journals and that apply strict quality assurance procedures recognised in the respective field of research ("Gold OA") are eligible for funding.
- Articles that appear in journals that in principle require subscriptions (according to the "Open Choice" model, etc.) are not eligible for funding.
- A member of the university is responsible for payment of the article as Corresponding or Submitting Author.
- Article fees are co-funded on a pro-rata basis of 50%.
Please refer to the general information for the interpretation of the terms!
Explanation of terms:
- Original OA journals: Journals that publish exclusively Open Access articles - Fully OA.
- Subscription journals: Journals for which a subscription fee is due for reading. Articles that are also voluntarily made Open Access -hybrid OA- are not eligible (exception: Open Access transformation contracts).
- Strict quality assurance procedures: As a rule, this means peer review or a corresponding quality assurance procedure recognised in the discipline. The kiz also checks whether the journal is listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) and in at least one of the subject-recognised databases for literature searches. In case of doubt, especially if there is a suspicion of predatory publishing, no funding will be granted. Please clarify the journal's eligibility for funding ideally before submission, preferably by email to oa [at] uni-ulm.de.
- Corresponding/Submitting Author: Since OA funding follows international regulations and there should be no double payments, the fund-managing institutions have agreed to pay OA funding only to authors who are also responsible for the accounts. First or last authorship in the sense of scientific relevance therefore plays no role in this context.
Further requirements for the granting of funding:
- If possible, publication funds from third party funded projects should be used as a priority.
- Payment of the invoice from department/clinic cost centre, reimbursement of article fees can only be made to this cost centre.
- Reimbursement will only be made after publication.
If you apply for funding
- your article will be published in the institutional repository of the University of Ulm (OPARU),
- your article will be listed on the kiz website and in the OpenAPC database.
Even if continuous funding is sought, the available funds are available according to the FIFO principle.
Please use the reimbursement form for your application.
For a funding application from the Open Access Funds you need:
- a proof of your publication (preferably a DOI link),
- a scan of the original invoice as a PDF,
- as well as an SAP voucher showing the amount of the final sum actually paid as well as the cost centre (directly as an SAP statement as "hardcopy" or via account information).
Does not apply to the following publishers, as these are paid centrally by the kiz via a collective invoice. The authors will be charged their own contribution:
- Springer DEAL title list
- Wiley DEAL title list
Does not apply to the following publishers as costs are covered under OA-transformational agreements:
- Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Cambridge University Press
- Institute of Physics (IoP)
- If your item is part of a central invoice, we will request a cost centre by e-mail to retrieve the personal contribution.
- In case you indicate a cost centre of the university hospital, the amount will be invoiced to the university hospital by the kiz. This invoicing takes place without the participation of the authors.
- Articles in the open access journals at Springer Nature and Wiley fall under the funding conditions of the open access funds and require a personal contribution from the authors.
A lump sum of 700 euros per article is available for OA publications published on or after Jan. 1st 2022 (FIFO principle). The budget is managed by the Communication and Information Centre (kiz).
The DFG specifies publication costs in the guidelines for the use of funds [1/22] for the Open Access funding program (excerpt):
184.108.40.206 Special billable expenses.
Funds can be used for publications whose authors who are liable for payment are to be considered members of the institution at the time of publication (publication date).
220.127.116.11 Special non-billable expenses
Funds provided by the DFG may not be used for:
- Open Access articles in hybrid journals without contractual billing of publication access charges;
- Publications without scientific content;
- separate funding of individual contributions to edited volumes;
- Conference proceedings for which funding is available from other sources (e.g., admission fees, membership fees, etc.);
- Publications in so-called mirror journals;
- Administrative fees (e.g., in the case of DEAL contracts);
- fees that are additional to the OA publication fee (e.g., fee for licensing, for color illustrations and number of pages, etc.);
- Submission charges;
- Publications that could have been published in open access but were not published in open access due to opt-out rules.
Double funding of the same publication in different aggregation forms (e.g. preprint and journal article, contribution to anthology and article) must be excluded by the institutions.
Open Access Journals: Agreements at Ulm University ("Gold OA")
For 41 open access journals of the publisher, there will be no APC for corresponding authors with affiliation to Ulm University for publications in 2022. The costs are covered by the OA transformation agreement.
Articles published in Psychology Open with a publication date of 2022 will receive a discount of 70% (final APC 300 Euro). Eligible are corresponding authors affiliated with Ulm University.
Articles can receive a subsidy via the OA reimbursement form.
- Submission date from 1.1.2022: 10% discount on the list price, for articles that are settled via central invoice (kiz).
- Submission date until 31.12.2021: Price cap at 2.000 € (gross), if the article is paid via central invoice (kiz).
Gold open access journals are included in the Read and Publish agreement (see section below: Licensed Journals/OA Transformation Agreements for more details).
Starting in 2022, corresponding authors with affiliation to the University of Ulm will no longer be required to pay an APC for the following open access journals published by the publisher:
The costs are covered by the OA transformation agreement.
- The discount is 10% per article if a co-author has an affiliation to the University of Ulm.
- Articles are invoiced to the author directly.
- MDPI articles can receive a subsidy via the OA reimbursement form.
License Journals: OA-Transformational Agreements at Ulm University ("Hybrid OA")
Open Access Transformational Agreements include the option for corresponding authors of the participating institution to publish their articles in the licensed journals with a CC license at no additional cost.
Authors should consider the following points to exercise the OA option:
- Corresponding author has an affiliation with the University of Ulm (mandatory)
- Affiliation in the article is congruent with the affiliation in the submission systems
- Submission is made from within the campus network (remote via VPN)
- Submission is done with university email address "@uni-ulm.de", if possible (mandatory for some contracts)
- Members of the University Hospital should clarify the eligibility with the planned affiliation before submission
Please note: central funding of individual articles in license journals outside of the university's OA Transformational Agreements is not possible.
- OA/CC license for all peer-reviewed content that can be published under CC license.
- Eligible are articles with date published 1st Jan. 2022 or later.
- Corresponding author must submit with @uni-ulm.de email address!
- Full access to the ACM Digital Library (without ACM Books).
- Link to publisher's website.
Under an OA transformation agreement with TIB, all articles published between 2021 and 2023 by corresponding authors with affiliation to Ulm University will be published OA at no additional cost to the authors.
- OA/CC license without additional costs for authors, if the corresponding author is affiliated with Ulm University.
- There is a maximum quota of articles in the contract. If the quota is exhausted, authors will be asked if the article should be CC licensed at their own expense. Authors may opt-out to avoid additional costs.
- Read access to most of the Society's journals.
- Download Author Guide.
Read and Publish Agreement as of Jan. 1st 2023 for the following journals:
- Journal of Cell Science
- Journal of Experimental Biology
Details on the agreement and a step-by-step guide for authors are available directly from the publisher.
- Access to 404 titles in the journal portfolio at CUP, of which 41 journals are Gold Open Access and 332 offer a hybrid publishing option.
- Corresponding Authors of Ulm University are entitled to publish in the CUP journals in the CUP journals without any restrictions.
- In addition to Research Articles, Review Articles and Rapid Communications, Brief Reports and Case reports will also be considered.
- Link to publisher's website.
- Access to 14 German and 15 English current titles, as well as 12 archive titles.
- Articles by Corresponding Authors affiliated with Ulm University in the 29 current journals will be published Open Access (with CC license), from 01 January 2022 (without additional costs for authors).
- Key date is the publication date of the article.
- The publisher's open access journals are not included in the agreement.
- Link to publisher's website.
As of Dec. 1st 2022, there is a read-and-publish agreement with IEEE. The following conditions apply:
- Article quota of 35 articles for 1 year.
- Corresponding author must demonstrate affiliation with Ulm University and mention it in the article. Submission should ideally be made using the university email address (@uni-ulm.de) for easier attribution.
- Only Open Access costs are covered, other publication fees are not covered.
- Titles: the agreement applies to IEEE journals that are Hybrid or Full Open (197 titles), the IEEE title list applies. Conferences/Proceedings are not covered by the agreement.
- Please note: For Hybrid journals, the OA license must be actively selected.
- Download author guide.
- The license fee covers the cost of an unlimited number of articles that can be published without embargo period and under CC BY 4.0 license in 56 hybrid journals and 15 gold open access journals:
- Only corresponding authors affiliated with Ulm University are eligible. The publisher is responsible for the assignment of the articles.
- Link to publisher's website.
Read and Publish for RSC hybrid journals starting Jan. 1, 2023. For more details on author workflows, contact the publisher directly.
- Access to 922 ongoing journals of the publishing house
- Articles by Corresponding Authors affiliated with Ulm University in 908 ongoing (hybrid) journals will be published Open Access (with CC license) from 01 January 2022 (at no additional cost to authors)
- Key date is the date accepted of the article
- The Open Access option is limited to the following article types:
- Original Research Papers, Review Papers
- Brief Communications, Short Reports and Case Reports
- Costs for articles in 182 Open Access journals are discounted by 20%. Authors can apply for a subsidy for the costs incurred via the OA reimbursement form.
- Download Author Guide.
Springer Nature (2020-2022): Ulm University participates in the DEAL contract with the publisher Springer Nature. Detailed information on the publication process and title lists are provided by the publisher on their DEAL website.
- OpenChoice journals: The Open Access option in the subscription journals of the DEAL contract can be used by authors of the University of Ulm without additional costs. We therefore ask all university members not to make use of the opt-out if you agree in principle to your article being made openly accessible. Authors of the University Hospital and the RKU have to submit via the affiliation to the Faculty of Medicine to make use of this option.
- Fully OA journals - Please note before submitting to fully OA journals: Fully OA journals under the Springer-DEAL contract are subject to the funding terms of the OA funds. Invoicing to authors will in future be done by the kiz, no longer by the publisher. The costs for articles in pure Open Access journals must be borne by the authors on a pro-rata basis of 50%. Please inform yourself in time about the resulting costs.
Wiley (2019-2022): Ulm University participates in the DEAL contract with the publisher Wiley. Detailed information on the publication process and title lists are provided by the publisher on their DEAL website.
- Hybrid Open Access (HOA) journals: articles in the publisher's closed access journals will be considered under the agreement with an accepted date of 7/1/2019. The Open Access option in the subscription journals of the DEAL agreement can be taken up by authors of Ulm University without additional costs. We therefore ask all university members not to make use of the opt-out if you agree in principle with making your article OA.
- Fully OA journals - Please note before submitting to fully OA journals: Fully Open Access journals under the Wiley-DEAL contract are subject to the funding terms of the Open Access Funds. Invoicing to authors will be done by the kiz, not the publisher, starting in September 2020. The costs for articles in pure Open Access journals must be borne by the authors on a pro-rata basis of 50%. Please inform yourself in time about the resulting costs.
Discounts for article fees
- AAAS/Science: Authors of the University of Ulm are entitled to a 15 % discount in Science Advances via participation in the TIB consortium agreement with AAAS. The discount must be actively selected by the author during the payment process via RightsLink using the "Apply Discounts" button.
- PNAS: All articles published in PNAS are freely available via PNAS and PubMed Central after a six-month period. Authors seeking immediate open access publication will receive a 24% discount ($1,150 instead of $1,500).
- RSC: For 2021, a discount of 15% for authors of Ulm University applies to articles in hybrid journals. To claim the discount, the email address of the corresponding author must end with @uni-ulm.de. The discount does not apply to the RSC's open access journals.
For further questions regarding the discounts, please contact your contact us directly.
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Please contact us if you have questions or problems related to the kiz services:
Monday - Thursday
09:00 h - 12:00 h and 13:00 h - 15:30 h
Friday 09:00 h - 12:00 h
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 30000
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 1230000
Research in the library stock: monographs, textbooks, magazines, university publications, e-books, e-journals, national licenses, and the contents of the institutional repository OPARU.
more about: Open Access funding
- Uli Hahn (Open Access Representative)
- Claudia Mühlhäuser (Open Access Advice)
Requests: oa (at) uni-ulm.de
Tel.: +49 (0) 731 50 - 154 76