Strategic Process Management
Module group: Process Management
Corporations are subject to ever changing market requirements and they constantly have to adapt to their environment. Therefore, methods have to be provided that support this permanent change.
Strategic process management provides a methodology for process-oriented transformation. The goal is to learn and apply the key techniques for radical new processes using case studies and action learning.
On-campus mettings in Ulm:
- Friday, 26th of April 2019, 09:00 - 17:00
- Monday, 27th of May 2019, 09:00 - 17:00
- Friday, 5th of July 2019, 09:00 - 17:00
The module handbook can be found here.
Content of the module
The module focuses on:
- Basic definitions and requirements
- Existing concepts of process-oriented management
- Meta-model of process management in the context of digital transformation
- Process design (radical redefining of operative processes) and examples of use
- Process control (leading of operative processes through measurement) and examples of use
- Process development (innovations of processes) and examples of use
- Technology as "enabling" factor for new solutions
- Activities for the realization of process management
- Techniques for designing, leading and development
- Examples of use from industry
- Outlook on further topics
Students of this module receive systematic training in developing, designing and leading of business processes.
The central goal is to provide students with instructions that ensure a systematic transformation of business processes.
This approach solves the increasing complexity of business processes and prepares corporations for the growing demands of an accelerated, digitalized and globalized world economy. This module is central for various study programs offered by SAPS: Innovation and science management, Business Analytics and Systems Engineering. The module provides proven and tested methods for a transformation of digital and operative processes in corporations.
The graduates of this module are able to design, develop and enhance new processes and to assess and ensure their sustainability without neither knowing detailed descriptions nor applying modelling languages.
The participants learn about corporate strategy and how to operationalize it into a digital process architecture and to realize them using new technologies.
They will recognize that technology does not only fulfill the role of an “enabler” but also the role of transferring. The students are taught a variety of techniques (structured instructions for action), which make it possible for them to realize process transformations.
Online-learning takes place as self-study units as well as group assignments. For structuring the self-study-part videos that illustrate the contents and an elaborated script are provided. According to the didactic concept of Ulm University, the script is developed especially for students that work full-time while studying. The script contains learning stops, multiple and single choice tests, quizzes, exercises, etc.
Your mentor will offer online seminars in periodic intervals, which will help you to handle the exercises and to work on the learning matters. An online forum for an exchange with the other students will also be available.
Requirement is a first graduate degree.
Contentual: It is strongly recommended to have prior knowledge in business administration and, especially, in controlling.
Technical preconditions for e-Learning
- Desktop computer or notebook, with a supported version of Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS or Linux
- Current version of Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari or Microsoft Edge
- Access to the internet (e.g., via xDSL, Cable, LTE, 5G) with a minimum data rate of 3 Mbit/s for downstream and 384 kbit/s for upstream.
In case of questions regarding the technical requirements, please don't hesitate to contact us.
In order to be granted admission to the exam (written or oral) you have to meet the following requirements:
- Participation in at least 2 on-campus days
- Work on compulsory online material
In case of hardship the candidate can write a formless request that is to be examined by the professor responsible for the module.
In case of sickness at the day of examination, a doctor’s certificate has to be submitted to the professor responsible for the module.
Regular participation in online seminars will help you get familiar with the learning matters. For further information, please have a look at the module description.
After finishing the module successfully, you will get a certificate and a supplement, which will list the contents of the module and the competences you have acquired. The supplement confirms the equivalent of 6 credit points (ECTS).
The fee for participating in the module “Strategic Process Management” is 1320 Euro.
Prof. Dr. Leo Brecht
Director of the institute of Technology and Process Management
Institute of Technology and Process Management