*Orientation semester - Orientation courses
During the summer semester Ulm University offers a general orientation programme to new students as preparation for their undergraduate studies.
Our orientation semester is for you if you are interested in studying at Ulm University, have a higher education entrance qualification (usually Abitur) and have not been previously enrolled at a German higher education institution. The actual decision of which degree programme you want to study can wait until the winter semester.
The orientation semester is available for the following pathways:
- Chemistry BSc
- Teaching Chemistry at German grammar schools (Gymnasium) BSc
- Chemical Engineering BSc
- Chemistry and Management BSc
- Computer Science BSc
- Teaching Computer Science at German grammar schools (Gymnasium) BSc
- Media Informatics BSc
- Software Engineering BSc
- Computational Science and Engineering (CSE)
- Mathematics BSc
- Teaching Mathematics at German grammar schools (Gymnasium) BSc
- Mathematical Biometry BSc
- Mathematics and Management BSc
Management and Economics
Orientation coursesType of study
- next summer semester: 01.04.2020
- no previous enrolment
More about the course
Throughout the orientation semester you will attend subject-specific courses and sit respective examinations. Your exam results can be credited towards your subsequent studies if you wish. Concomitant support measures, courses on self-management and how to organise your studies as well as individual advisory services help you make a well-founded choice of study and prepare for the demands of a university education.
Please note that attending the orientation semester does not grant you any benefits in regards to the admission to restricted degree programmes!
Registration and enrolment
You are eligible if you have a higher education entrance qualification (usually Abitur) and have not been previously enrolled in a degree programme or a preparatory course at a German higher education institution. You need to apply for enrolment online and pay the fees and contributions until 31 March at the latest.
Click here to enrol online!
Please make sure that you click 'no degree pursued' in step three (Degree) of the online enrolment process.
Preparation in Mathematics
Most study programmes require good knowledge in Mathematics. To refresh your school knowledge we recommend you attend our two-week University Training Camp in March or the Online Mathematics Bridging Course (OMB+).
- Apply for enrolment online until 31 March at the latest.
- If you can, attend the University Training Camp, which is usually held in the second half of March. Alternatively, we recommend the Online Mathematics Bridging Course (OMB+) to brush up on your Mathematics knowledge from school.
- Before the lecture period begins you will create a semester plan dependent on your study objectives and scheduled courses. You will receive further information on this after your enrolment. An academic advisor will help you with your plan.
- Attend the subject-specific courses and examinations.
- Towards the end of the semester the academic advisor will invite you to discuss your study progress and help you come to a decision on what pathway to choose.
- If you decide on a study programme with restricted admission, you need to apply until 15 July at the latest. Should you choose a study programme without admission restriction at Ulm University, you need to re-register until 10 August and apply to change into the respective programme.
- We recommend that you discuss with the academic advisor which courses to attend. Deciding factors will be which exams of the orientation semester can be credited towards your degree and which courses you can attend without scheduling conflicts.