Welcome to the Website of the
11th European VCSEL Day 2018 Workshop
in Ulm on April 12−13
The vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser (VCSEL) business is booming more than ever. A record number of devices is being produced worldwide for traditional and young market segments. Time-of-flight sensing for gesture recognition and infrared illumination for 3-D imaging in smartphones are prominent examples. The 11th VCSEL Day will provide a European forum to discuss the state of the art and present latest research results: novel device concepts, performance records, inexplicable effects, new application ideas – contributions on all VCSEL-related topics are most welcome!
- Professor Dr.-Ing. Michael Weber, the President of Ulm University, will give an inaugural address in the opening session.
- The registration is now closed (deadline Mar. 16).
- We are currently composing the technical program. An e-mail will soon be sent to all registered participants.
- This website was last updated on Mar. 20.
Venue: Lecture hall 45.1, University West Campus of Ulm University, Albert-Einstein-Allee 45, Ulm, Germany. A campus map is contained in the provided pdf files for the different hotels in the travel and hotel section below.
VCSEL Day 2018 features
- Technical sessions with 50 % presentation time and 50 % discussion, e.g., 10 min + 10 min (in contrast to conferences with usual ratios of 12-to-3 or 15-to-5)
- The presentations will not be collected or distributed. No audio or video recordings will be made. We will vote if photos may be taken during the sessions or not. All secrets can safely be shared.
- Printed and electronic copies of the workshop proceedings with the one-page abstracts will be provided.
- The program will contain a poster session preceded by one-minute teaser presentations.
- No workshop fee
- Catering, social: three coffee breaks, on-site lunch on Thursday, dinner in the city center of Ulm sponsored by Philips Photonics, light lunch after the closing on Friday
The registration is closed. For information send an e-mail to the following address.
Opening: morning of Thursday, April 12, 2018
Closing: noontime of Friday, April 13, 2018
Technical agenda: to be announced after March 16, 2018
Travel and hotel information
Ulm can be reached via four airports, namely Stuttgart, Munich, Frankfurt, and Memmingen, followed by a train ride. A number of rooms has been reserved in three hotels in the city center of Ulm. You can choose between two bus lines to arrive at the conference venue on the University West campus of Ulm University. Detailed information is provided here.
VCSEL Day history
- 2008: Copenhagen, Denmark, May 21
- 2009: Gothenburg, Sweden, April 24
- 2010: Torino, Italy, May 07
- 2011: Toulouse, France, May 12−13
- 2012: Berlin, Germany, June 01
- 2013: Lausanne, Switzerland, May 31−June 01
- 2014: Rennes, France, May 22−23
- 2015: Lodz, Poland, May 29
- 2016: Darmstadt, Germany, June 03
- 2017: Cardiff, UK, June 08−09
- 2018: Ulm, Germany, April 12−13