Family Affairs

Family reunion visa

If your spouse and/or children want to join you in Germany, they may apply for a family reunion visa at the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country. In order to apply for a family reunion visa, you must already hold a residence permit for the length of your research stay in Germany. Furthermore, you have to be able to financially support and have sufficient accommodation for both you and your family. Please note that it may be necessary for your spouse to have basic German language skills. As soon as your studies in Germany end, the family visa will expire.

Visa requirements differ between countries. Therefore, please consult with the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country for further information specific to your country regarding family reunion visas. You can locate the German Missions in your country here.

Pediatrics in Ulm

You can get a list of doctors at every pharmacy (Apotheke) or the yellow pages (Gelbe Seiten). In addition, there are also some websites on which the doctors’ specialties and locations are listed. For more information about Pediatrics in Ulm, click here or here.

Nursery and kindergarten at Ulm University

For employees of Ulm University

Ulm University provides their employees or young researchers (including doctoral students) with various childcare places for children up to school age. You can visit this website to get information and registration forms (only in German).

For registered doctoral students at Ulm University

For the children of registered doctoral students, the student union of Ulm offers childcare for children aging from nine weeks to three years in the nursery “flea circus” (Flohzirkus). More information and the registration form can be found on this website.  

More children care facilities in Ulm and Neu-Ulm

The Family Office of Ulm also helps you to find a suitable child care facility for your children and offers advice and information about existing nurseries, kindergarten and child care centers.

For Neu-Ulm residents, please click here.

Finding the right School in Germany

If you need to choose an appropriate school for your school-aged child, the “Make it in Germany” website offers a helpful introduction to the German school system. For more information about choosing the right school, please check the information platform “Expatica”.

The website of the "Internationale Stadt" informs about the possibilities in Ulm and Neu-Ulm. Comprehensive information about each public school in Ulm can be found here (only in German).

Financial benefits

If you have children or if you are expecting a child, the German government provides a variety of financial assistance and additional protection rights depending on your type of residence title. The most important ones are listed below.

An outline of German family policy and every possible assistance can be found on the website of The Federal Ministry of Family, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (only in German). A very helpful online resource is the “Familien-Wegweiser” information portal (only in German).  

Child Benefit (Kindergeld)

In Germany, parents of children who are under the age of 18 are entitled to child benefit (Kindergeld).Child benefit is paid for every child. Its monthly amount is irrespective of the parents’ income and adds up to 190€ for the first and second child, 196€ for the third child and 221€ for every subsequent child.

For more information, please consult the Federal Ministry’s website and/or the information provided by the Studierendenwerk

Maternity Benefit (Mutterschutz)

If you are expecting a child you enjoy maternity protection (Mutterschutz) in a period of 6 weeks prior and 8 weeks following delivery. During this period, you may qualify for maternity pay (Mutterschaftsgeld). Additionally, you enjoy certain protection rights as an employee. Click here for more information.  

Parental Allowance (Elterngeld)

After the birth of a child, parents are entitled to parental allowance (Elterngeld) if they take care of their children by themselves. Parents allowance is paid to the father and/or mother for a maximum of 14 months with an amounts of a minimum of 300€ and a maximum of €1,800 per month. During the receipt of parental allowance, it is still possible to work up to 30 hours per week under certain conditions. For more details, please check the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.


Family & Science at Ulm University

Car Seats for children

For short time travels by car, it is possible to rent safe car seats for your children at the International Office.