All students who are enrolled at one of the three universities get their own e-mail address and full access to computer pools of their university. Most student residences also provide internet access, which is the most convenient and cheapest way to have internet access at home.
You will find further information about computer pools, accounts and WIFI access at the computer centre of your university.
- Ulm University: www.uni-ulm.de/en/einrichtungen/kiz.html
- Ulm University of Applied Sciences: www.hs-ulm.de/en/imz
- University of Applied Sciences Neu-Ulm: www.hs-neu-ulm.de/en/ueber-uns/einrichtungen-und-services/rechenzentrum
DSL (Digital Subscriber Line)
DSL is available throughout the entire cities of Ulm and Neu-Ulm. You will often receive DSL hardware (WLAN) when signing a contract (be aware of minimum duration). Costs: €20 - 30, depending on provider and bandwidth.
There are also a lot of providers (Telekom, 1&1, O2, Freenet, Kabel BW, SWU etc.) offering home phone and DSL flat rates in a bundle, inform yourself on their websites.
You may share your DSL connection with your flat mates to decrease your personal costs.
There is free public internet access for 1.5 hours per day during the opening hours of the Ulm Public Library. You need a valid library card, though. If you have your own laptop, you can use WIFI as long as the library opens and again you need a membership number.
Ulmer Stadtbibliothek, Vestgasse 1 (next to the city hall Ulm), www.stadtbibliothek.ulm.de (only in German!)
You can use library’s computers and the free WIFI at the Public Library of Neu-Ulm for half an hour. If you have your own laptop, you can ask library stuff to provide you with WIFI access for as long as you need.
Stadtbücherei Neu-Ulm, Heiner-Metzger-Platz 1, www.stadtbuecherei.neu-ulm.de (only in German!)
Internet cafes and call centres
- Internetcafé Telenet Ulm: Frauenstraße 35 (Ulm city centre)
- Burkay Sahabettin Internet-Café: Herdbruckerstraße 26 (Ulm city centre)
- Salah Mehdi Saleh Internetcafé: Augsburger Str. 28 (Neu-Ulm, Stadtmitte)