Busses, trams and local trains (DING - SWU)
Ulm und Neu-Ulm have a very well developed public transportation system. The SWU (Stadtwerke Ulm; the company running the municipal bus and tram lines), several companies from the region and the Deutsche Bahn (German Rail) have joined their services to form the DING (Donau Iller Nahverkehrs Gesellschaft). Within the DING area, which reaches out almost 50 km into the surroundings of Ulm, you may use different companies and means of transportation with the same ticket. The DING area is divided into several zones (Waben). The price of a ticket depends on the number of zones you will cross. The whole city area of Ulm and Neu-Ulm forms one zone (Wabe 10/20) with standard prices.
There are also night busses in Ulm, which operate during the nights before Saturdays and Sundays as well as before bank holidays. These night busses are free of charge for students of Ulm University, Ulm University of Applied Sciences and the University of Applied Sciences Neu-Ulm.
The Semester Ticket is valid within the entire DING area for the duration of a full semester. As of summer term 2018, the price is €120.00 per semester. All registered students of Ulm University and Ulm University of Applied Sciences are entitled to buy it.
Degree seeking students in their first semester (first or new enrolment / Erst- oder Neueinschreibung) in Ulm/Neu-Ulm registering their main place of residence (Hauptwohnsitz) in Ulm for the first time get one free Semester Ticket (for public transportation) from the city of Ulm. Exchange students are not entitled to this gift from the city of Ulm. Students taking part in a study related preparatory course (linguistic and socio-cultural preparatory course, pre-course, orientation semester) and registering their main place of residence (Hauptwohnsitz) in Ulm for the first time get a voucher for the following semester. In addition, foreign students must have a residence permit which is valid for at least one year. Otherwise, they will also only get a voucher for the following semester.
You need your identity card or passport, student ID card and your confirmation of enrollment to buy a ticket. Students of Ulm University need the certificate for the Semester Ticket (Bescheinigung für das Semesterticket).
Period of validity:
|Winter semester||Summer semester|
1 October - 31 March
1 April - 30 September
Universities of Applied Sciences in Neu-Ulm and Ulm:
|1 September - 28/29 February||1 March - 3 August|
You can buy your semester ticket here
- Ulm University: Info point of the Studierendenwerk in the Forum of University South, (in front of the Mensa)
- Ulm University of Applied Sciences: Mensa, G108, Prittwitzstraße 10, 89075 Ulm (for students of Ulm University of Applied Sciences)
- SWU KundenCenter "traffiti", Neue Straße 79, 89073 Ulm Tel. +49 (0)731/166-2177, www.traffiti.de (only in German!)
- DB Reise & Turistik, Bahnhofplatz 1, 89073 Ulm (Ulm main station)
- DB booking terminals within the DING area
Your Semester Ticket is not transferable and only valid together with your student ID Card.
Keep the receipt when buying your Semester Ticket. In case you lose it you can get a new one from the SWU office "traffiti" for a small fee.
It is worth buying a Semester Ticket even if the semester has already started if you use it for at least 2 months.
The Studierendenwerk fee, which all students have to pay, includes a solidarity tax for the Semester Ticket (Basic Ticket). This allows students to use their student ID card as a ticket for public transport in the DING area Monday to Friday after 6.00 p.m. and on the whole day on weekends/bank holidays - without having to buy any extra ticket. During these times, you may also take one person with you, who then only has to pay a child‘s fare. These regulations only apply to the student ID chip card, exchange students may not use their Teilnehmendenausweis for this purpose.
- Single ticket: within the city area of Ulm/Neu-Ulm or one zone (Wabe). If you want to go to other destinations, check the zone map or refer to the ID number (on a list at the DING ticket machine) of the place you want to go to.
- Day ticket: for a person or group of up to five people for the city area of Ulm/Neu-Ulm. Single day rider tickets are valid for the whole day, group tickets are valid from 8.30 a.m. on weekdays and on the whole day on weekends/bank holidays.
- Weekly ticket and monthly ticket are valid in the city area untill 12 p.m. on the first working day of the following week or month and are transferable.
Weekly and monthly tickets for more zones are more expensive of course. You are advised to have a valid ticket before you enter a bus or a train. You can buy your ticket from a ticket machine near the bus stop or the train station or from the bus driver. There are also some ticket machines on the tram. Travelling without a valid ticket in the DING area will result in a fine of up to €60.00.
The current rates for single, day, weekly and monthly tickets can be found here: prices (only in German!)