Busses, trams and local trains (Ding-SWU)
Ulm and Neu-Ulm have a very well developed public transportation system. The SWU (Stadtwerke Ulm; the company that run the municipal bus and tram lines), several companies from the region and the Deutsche Bahn (German Rail) have joined their services to form the DING (Donau Iller Nahverkehrs Gesellschaft).
Within the DING area (which reaches out almost 50 km into the surroundings of Ulm) you can use different companies and means of transportation with only one ticket. The DING Area is divided into several zones (Waben). The price of a ticket varies, depending on how many zones you cross. The entire city area of Ulm and Neu-Ulm forms one zone (Wabe 10/20) with standard prices.
There are also night busses in Ulm, which operate the entire night before Saturday and Sunday and before holidays. These night busses are free of charge for students of Ulm University, Ulm University of Applied Sciences and University of Applied Sciences Neu-Ulm.
The semester ticket is valid within the entire DING area for the duration of a full semester. The price is €120.00 per semester. All registered students of Ulm University and Ulm University of Applied Sciences are entitled to buy it.
Degree seeking students in their first semester (first or new enrolment / Erst- oder Neueinschreibung) in Ulm/Neu-Ulm registering their main place of residence (Hauptwohnsitz) in Ulm for the first time get one free semester ticket (for public transportation) from the city of Ulm. Exchange students are not entitled to this gift from the city of Ulm. Students taking part in a study related preparatory course (linguistic and socio-cultural preparatory course, pre-course, orientation semester) and registering their main place of residence (Hauptwohnsitz) in Ulm for the first time get a voucher for the following semester. In addition, foreign students must have a residence permit which is valid for at least one year. Otherwise, they will also only get a voucher for the following semester.
You need your identity card or passport, student ID card and your confirmation of enrollment to buy a ticket. Students of Ulm University need the certificate for the semester ticket (Bescheinigung für das Semesterticket).
Period of validity:
|Winter semester||Summer semester|
1 October - 31 March
1 April - 30 September
|Universities of Applied Sciences in Neu-Ulm and Ulm:||1 September - 28/29 February||1 March - 3 August|
You can buy your semester ticket here
- Ulm University: Info point of the Studierendenwerk in the foyer of University South, cafeteria A and B (for students of Ulm University)
- Ulm University of Applied Sciences: Office of the "Verfasste Studierendenschaft"- Office, C029a, Prittwitzstraße 10, 89075 Ulm (for students of Ulm University of Applied Sciences)
- SWU KundenCenter "traffiti", Neue Straße 79, 89073 Ulm Tel. +49 (0)731/166-2177, www.traffiti.de (only in German!)
- DB Reisezentrum, Bahnhofplatz 1, 89073 Ulm (Ulm central station)
- DB booking terminals within the DING area
Your semester ticket is not transferable and only valid together with your student ID Card.
Keep the receipt when buying your semester ticket. In case you lose your semester ticket you can get a new one from the SWU office traffiti for a small fee.
It is worth buying the semester ticket even if the semester has already started, if you use it for at least 2 months.
Your student ID card is also valid as a ticket, even without buying the semester ticket. With your student ID card you can travel after 6.00 p.m. on weekdays and the entire weekend on busses and trains in the entire DING area for free. This applies only to the chip card student ID. Exchange students who are not enrolled may not use their Teilnehmerausweis for this purpose.
- Single ticket: within the city area of Ulm/Neu-Ulm, or one zone (Wabe). If you want to go to other destinations, check the zone map or refer to the ID number (on a list at the DING ticket machine) of the place you want to go to.
- Day ticket: for a person or group of up to five people for the city area of Ulm/Neu-Ulm. Single day rider tickets are valid the entire day, group tickets are valid from 8.30 a.m. on weekdays and the entire day on weekends.
- Weekly ticket and monthly ticket: valid in the city area untill 12 p.m. of the first work day of the following week or month.
Weekly and monthly tickets for more zones are more expensive of course. You are supposed to have a valid ticket before you enter the bus or the train. You can buy your tickets from the bus driver or from a ticket machine near the bus stop or the train station. There are also some vending machines on the tram. Travelling without a valid ticket in the DING area will result in a fine of up to €60.00.
The current rates for single, day, weekly and monthly tickets can be viewed at: prices (only in German!)