Applying to Study Abroad @ Ulm University as Erasmus+ and SEMP Students (SMS)

Application Deadlines

Fall Semester ("Wintersemester")
Exchange Period starting in September/October

May 15

Spring Semester ("Sommersemester")
Exchange Period starting in March/April

November 15

Individual Periods
(Final Thesis/Project Work/ Clinical Elective Hospital Rotations)

At least 3 full months
in advance


Katja Ketterle

Advising Hours:
Tuesday:13:30 - 15:30
Thursday:09:00 - 11:30
No Advising: September 18 + 27, 2018

Note to Applicants

No Handwriting

Use the computer to fill out all forms. Forms filled out manually will not be processed!

If PDF-forms are opened in your browser, you may not be able to fill them out electronically. Then you must save them to your computer first. If you only have Acrobat Reader, you may not be able to save the completed forms. Print out the forms immediately before closing the file.

Ulm University does not manage traineeships on the basis of Erasmus+ inter-institutional agreements.

Information for ERASMUS SMT

Transcript of Records

A transcript of records is a listing of all courses you have taken at your university up to date, including course title, credits and grade of the courses. You must submit an official document, issued/verified by your university or faculty.

If you already have a university degree (e.g. Bachelor or Master), please submit a copy of your diploma of this degree. In addition, please submit a transcript of records listing all courses which you have taken since completion of this degree.

If your transcripts or diplomas are in a language other than German, English, French or Spanish, we kindly ask that you prepare a translation for it (either German or English).

Learning Agreement(s)

All students participating in the Erasmus+ programme are required to sign a Learning Agreement for Studies with their home university and their host university before starting the mobility. However, these forms are rather complicated and it makes sense to fill them out and have them signed only after all the detailes of the study programme have been agreed by all parties.

For the purpose of application and admission we ask incoming students to fill out our study proposal forms. The International Office will forward these forms to the Erasmus+ Departmental Coordinators and/or the Incoming Student Advisors. They will check your proposals and provide you with feedback. If you are accepted, we will send you the signed form back along with instructions on how to complete the Erasmus+ Learning Agreement for Studies.

We have three different types of Study Proposals:

It is possible to combine e.g. courses and thesis. If this is the case, please fill out a study proposal of each appropriate type. At the end of each form you find detailed instructions.

Notice to medical students:
It is possible to combine so-called Blockpraktika with other courses. However, students wishing to do a final year elective for several months cannot combine it with any other courses (also no language courses), because hospital assignments are full time. Moreover, we do not offer projects / thesis supervision for medical students.

Do not replace the  learning agreement for studies with a learning agreement for traineeships. Erasmus+ studies and Erasmus+ traineeships are two separate programmes, and we do not manage traineeships on the basis of Erasmus+ inter-institutional agreements.

Do not send the official Erasmus+ learning agreement forms with your application. At this stage of the process, we will only work with the study proposal forms. You should fill out and submit the Erasmus+ learning agreement form only after you have been accepted and your selection of "educational components" has been finalized!

Certificate of Language Proficiency

Certificate of Language Proficiency

This form must be signed/validated either by

  • the Erasmus/Exchange coordinator of your home university or
  • a language teacher of your home university or
  • an official institution, as e.g. Goethe-Institute (confirmations by private teachers are not considered valid!)

If you are planning to take courses in both, English and German, you must submit confirmation of sufficient command in both languages. If the same person will sign for both languages, you need to fill out only one form. If different people will sign for each language, you must fill out two forms.

We will consider applications of students who have only A2 in German at the time of application. If they are accepted, participation in the intensive German language course prior to the start of the semester is mandatory.

We will not consider applications of students who want to take courses in German and cannot prove level A2 in German at the time of application. We do not accept language certificates after the application deadline.

For detailed information see Language Issues

Housing Application

If you have indicated that you want the International Office to make a reservation for a room in one of the student residences for you, you must also submit a

Housing Application Form.

Passport or National Identity Card

EU nationals: please also attach a copy of your identity card or passport.

Non-EU nationals: please also attach a copy of your passport. If you do not have a passport at the time of application, you may send a copy of your national identity card. Please make sure that you will have a valid passport by the time you will travel to Germany!

Non-EU nationals, currently studying in another EU country: please also attach a copy of your passport and a copy of the residence permit of the other EU country in which you are currently studying.

The Member States of the European Union (EU)

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark,  Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania,  Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Hungary, United Kingdom

Proof of Subsistance / Financial Resources (Only non-EU Nationals from EU Countries)

Non-EU nationals coming in the framework of an exchange or mobility programme from a EU partner university for studies also need to submit proof of subsistence / financial resources (see here for instructions).

Ideally, these documents should be received together with the other application documents at the application deadline, but it is acceptable if they are submitted up to four weeks later. Yet, they must reach us at least two months before the date on which you plan to start your studies in Germany.


You can submit your application electronically via eMail attachment.

All documents must be merged into a single pdf-file. We do not accept jpg or other graphic formats, nor will we accept multiple attachments.

Alternatively, you can send us hardcopies via regular post to:

     Universität Ulm | International Office
     89069 Ulm | | Germany

Whether by eMail or post, your complete application documents must reach us by the set deadline!

We will inform you by eMail about the result of your application by

  • end of June (mobilities starting in September/October)
  • end of December (mobilities starting in March/April)

Please do not send inquiries regarding your application status before those dates, as this will unduely delay the processing.