Visa & Residence Permit

Do I Need a Passport?

All students who do not have the nationality of one of the European Union membership states (non-EU nationals) need a passport to enter Germany. For EU nationals, a national identity card is sufficient (but it can be convenient to have a passport in addition, e.g. for travels).

As soon as you apply to go to Germany, you should check if your identity card and/or passport are valid for the whole period you plan to stay in Germany and until your return to your home country / the country of your sending university.

  • If you do not yet have a passport: apply for one immediately.
  • If your passport or identity card will expire, make sure to apply for an extension immediately.

Do I Need a Visa?

Whether you need a visa or not depends on your nationality, and in some cases also on whether you already have a study visa in another member state of the European Union. Please follow the links to get to the pages with more detailed information which may apply to you:

EU NationalsNon-EU Nationals

Non-EU Nationals from another EU Country
who are currently studing in another EU country for a degree and who are coming to Germany for studies (not for traineeships/internships) / either in the framework of Erasmus+ SMS (student mobility for studies) or in the framework of a double degree programme or another exchange agreement between Ulm University and another university in the European Union (not free movers)

Start early!

You should start your visa application process as soon as you have applied for a stay at Ulm University! Do not wait until you have received a formal acceptance letter, because:

  • It might take up to six weeks to arrange a personal appointment with the nearest German embassy or consulate.

  • It might take another 4-6 weeks until visa application has been approved.

In case you do not get your visa in time, you should not enter Germany on a tourist visa. It is not possible to convert it to a student visa after arrival!

The Member States of the European Union (EU)

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark,  Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania,  Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Hungary, United Kingdom

International Office closed

The International Office will remain closed to visitors until further notice.

Advising is available only by email.

Documents can be submitted electronically via email.