FOKuS Propaedeutic at Ulm University
- An offering by Ulm University in cooperation with the University of Applied Sciences Neu-Ulm and the Ulm University of Applied Sciences
- A preparatory programme for prospective international students
- FOKuS – Fachliche Orientierung, Kultur und Sprache ... meaning discipline-related courses, culture, and language
- Optimal preparation for studies in Germany
Five Reasons to Choose FOKuS
Preparation for Studies
Get ready to study at a German university in one or two semesters.
Bring your German language skills up to the required level for university studies.
Experience campus life at a German university and connect with students and faculty members.
Refresh your math and computer skills, refine your soft skills, and develop learning strategies for your future studies.
Advising and Support
Benefit from individual advising and support in your search for the right study programme.
High-impact research – excellence in battery research
Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Medicine, Natural Sciences, Psychology, Economics
The FOKuS Programme
The FOKuS preparatory programme consists of three parts ... of language, discipline-related courses, and culture.
Learn more about the programme here!
- The German language courses are at the core of the FOKuS programme: both the B2 language course and the DSH preparatory course last one semester, with our new B1 language course lasting 6 weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Courses are held by experienced instructors.
- You can choose to supplement these core language courses with other more specialised German courses offered by our language centre.
- Many programmes at German universities require a strong background in math and computer literacy. In our specialised courses, we review key elements in these areas to ensure that you fulfill your future programme's prerequisites.
- In addition to our courses, you can improve your soft skills in different tutorials. These tutorials cover topics like learning strategies, reading and writing academic papers, and preparing for the different types of exams common at German universities.
- After your arrival, you will receive a welcome and orientation programme with information and tips about Ulm University as well as living and studying in Ulm. Throughout the entire programme, you will also have access to individual advising. This will help you to decide on the right study programme.
- In our culture and society course you will learn a lot about Germany – history, politics, and current topical debates.
- During excursions and other activities outside the classroom, you will have the opportunity to get to know Germany and your classmates at the same time.
- Our Buddy Programme connects experienced Ulm students with new international students, making it easy for you to make new friends in Ulm.
FOKuS Programme Application Process
FOKuS follows the regular semester schedule at Ulm University. The semester dates are usually as follows:
Mid-October until mid-February
Application period: 1 May – 15 July
Mid-April until the end of July
Application period: 1 November – 15 January
Applications must be submitted online via uni-assist by the respective deadline. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Please note: It is not necessary to send the application by post!
Information about the current application cycle (including information on the application process for refugees) for Winter Semester 2022/23 can be found on the International Office Website.
Our FOKuS Programme Partners
Ulm University organises this programme in cooperation with two Universities of Applied Sciences:
Both of these Universities of Applied Sciences are located in the twin city region of Ulm/Neu-Ulm.
During the FOKuS programme, these institutions will present their study programmes and extend invitations for campus visits.