How to apply for the Biophysics M. Sc.
The application to the "Biophysics" Master of Science programme consists of the stages reported below.
Please read carefully the information below regarding the online registration and the required documents.
How to Apply
Start of application period 16th January of each year End of application period 15th March of each year Start of the programme late August of each year
Online registration and documents download
Please follow the link to the Online Registration (available only during the application phase).
You will be asked to enter the following data: personal data, information on bachelor degree and the university where you obtained it, information on your current academic status.
At the end of the online registration, you will receive a confirmation e-mail.
Documents to be downloaded before closing the online registration:
- Data View of your records showing the data you entered
- Cover Sheet for the application package, it carries your application number
After completing the online registration, please proceed to fill the Application Form.xlsx
The application form is provided by the “Biophysics” office and it is available for download here during application period.
It is very important that the application form is filled correctly with information on the grading system at your university as well as information on the courses you attended. If the application form is not filled properly, your application may be rejected.
The filled application form has to be sent by e-mail (excel file is ok) to the address:
Send a signed version of the form along with the other documents to “Biophysics” by regular mail or upload files (see confirmation e-mail).
Please enter all the required data:
- Application number, received during the online registration.
- Grading system at your university:
Does a credit point or credit hour system exist at your university? Please enter the max. grade and min. passing grade.
- Final grade of your bachelor degree or current grade point average (GPA) of all courses (if you have not yet finished the bachelor programme).
- Courses details: title, credit points/credit hours earned, grade (it has to be consistent with the max/min passing grade entered). Please copy the title exactly as it is stated on your transcript of records, all the information entered have to be retrievable in your transcript.
Please let us know if you need assistance to complete the form.
Documents to send or upload
The application documents can be either
uploaded in electronic form (link provided in the confirmation e-mail)
sent per regular mail (only copies of official documents!) before 15th March to the following postal address:
89081 Ulm, Germany
Cover Sheet - must be signed and sent by regular mail at the above mentioned address.
1. Application form Form that was already send by e-mail, please sign it and fill in the date. 2. Curriculum Vitae The CV has to be complete, i.e. there should be no gaps and it should cover the time period since you finished your Bachelor degree.
Insert your name, application number and signature.
3. Transcripts of records All semesters studied in the Bachelor programme and exams taken have to be reported. If the transcripts are not written in English or German you have to provide copies of the certified English translation. 4. Official information on Grading Unless already reported in the transcripts, please provide an official document from your university on the grading system (maximum grade, minimal passing grade, conversion of letter grades to number grades). 5. Bachelor degree certificate The final grade has to be reported. If the certificate is not in English or German you have to provide copies of the certified English translation. 6. English certificate (copy!)
TOEFL (ibT) test with minimum score: 95
IELTS test with minimum score: 7
any English Language Certificate corresponding to the C1 level of CEFR (Common European Framework Reference for Languages).
Applicants who are English native speakers don't have to submit any English test result.
Students are welcome to apply without an English certificate, however they should plan a test as soon as possible. A valid English certificate has to be presented the latest at the moment of enrollment.
Graduates of the Ulm University are welcome to contact the coordinator or the head of the M. Sc. Biophysics programme for more information on the English requirements.
7. Letter of Motivation
- state in your own words why you are applying for the "Biophysics" Master's programme at Ulm University,
- be specific about personal interests and future plans,
- insert your name, application number and signature.
8. Proof of professional training (optional) Training, internship or work experience relevant for the Biophyiscs master 9. APS-certificate Required for students from China and Vietnam
You will obtain a confirmation e-mail once we received all necessary documents.
- All documents have to reach Ulm University by the end of the application period - March 15th for documents upload, March 22nd for documents sent by regular mail
- We do not accept documents sent by fax or attached to e-mails (only exception: application form which has to be sent both via e-mail and by regular mail/upload).
- It is sufficient to send untestified copies of all documents. Do not send any originals.
- All envelopes sent have to contain a copy of the cover sheet carrying your name and application number to ensure that the documents can be allocated correctly.
- Application is not valid if documents are sent without prior online registration.
- Do not send any certificates not related to your academic or professional qualifications.
- We cannot return any documents.
Graduates of the Ulm University with a BSc degree in Physics or Econophysics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology and Molecular Medicine, should use the application form "Antrag auf Studiengangwechsel / Umschreibung vom Bachelor in den Master" and bring it to the Studiensekretariat together with a letter of motivation. For more information please read here.