Proof of language proficiency for German-taught study programmes
Applicants for a German-taught study programme need to provide proof of sufficient German language proficiency to study at university level.
The following language tests are recognised for higher education entrance:
- German-taught university entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur, Matura, Reifezeugnis, etc.)
- German-taught study programme
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang –DSH 2 or DSH 3
- Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache – TestDaF, with level 4 in all four parts of the TestDaF examination
- A pass in the test section Deutsch/German of the higher education entrance assessment exam at a Studienkolleg (institution that prepares students to study at university level)
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz (German Language Certificate of the Education Ministers Conference) –DSD II (level 2)
- Österreichisches Sprachdiplom C2 - ÖSD C2
- telc Deutsch C 1 Hochschule
- Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung II of the Sprachen- und Dolmetscher-Institut München
- German language certificates recognised through bilateral agreements or other agreements made by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (KMK) and the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK) as sufficient for pursuing university level.
In study programmes with restricted admission (human medicine, dentistry, biochemistry bachelor and biochemistry master, biology bachelor and biology bachelor teaching, molecular medicine bachelor, psychology bachelor and psychology master, economics bachelor teaching and economics master, sustainable management master, pharmaceutical biotechnology master) one of the above mentioned certificates needs to be provided before the application deadline expires.
In programmes with unrestricted admission proof of German language proficiency at the level B2 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) is sufficient at the time of application. By the time of enrolment, applicants are required to provide one of the above mentioned language certificates. Enrolment without one of the above mentioned language certificates is not possible.
- German applicants must submit proof of an adequate command of German at the time of enrolment.
- EU citizens applying for the 1st semester in human medicine or dentistry through the central allocation procedure (Zentrales Vergabeverfahren) must submit proof of an adequate command of German at the time of enrolment.
Ulm University offers a Preparatory course that preparares for the DSH-Test = German language test for admission to higher education.
In Ulm, the TestDaF can be taken at the Volkshochschule or at Inlingua.