Important notes on test acceptance during the corona crisis
To alleviate the negative impact through the suspension of teaching and the cancellation of examinations requiring personal attendance, Ulm University strives to offer an alternative examination format by allowing video conferencing.
- In view of the above, Ulm University provides in its Statutes as a consequence of the effects of the corona pandemic in the area of study and teaching of 17 April 2020 that:
- At the request of the exam candidate and with the consent of the examiner, oral examinations can be conducted electronically by video conference.
- The orderly conduct of the examination must be guaranteed.
- The guidelines for examiners (“Handreichung für Prüfende”) regarding requirements for the proper conduct of oral examinations by video conference at Ulm University during the corona crisis must be observed.
- This applies analogously to oral examinations in doctoral or habilitation procedures as well as colloquia for final theses.
- Examinees have no right to an oral examination conducted via video conference; the members of the committee and, respectively, the examiners must consent to the use of video conferencing.
- In case of doctoral and habilitation exams, the request for holding the examination via video conference must be submitted by email to the competent examination or habilitation committee. The committee decides upon acceptance. It requests the consent of all committee members. If any one member does not consent to the examination being conducted by video conference, the request must be declined. The current procedure regarding registration or, as the case may be, non-registration for the colloquium/presentation does not change because of this examination format.
- It must be guaranteed that all members of the examination committee, examiners and examinees can personally, immediately and fully follow and understand the complete examination process and audio and video transmission must run smoothly. If this cannot be guaranteed, the exam has not been conducted orderly and must be repeated. The orderly conduct of the exam must be recorded.
- Currently, oral exams are held exclusively via WebEx.
- Health and infection protection are Ulm University’s foremost concern; therefore, it must be guaranteed that all participants stay in separate rooms during the examination. The respective Faculties’ digitalisation assistants are available for test conferences. The kiz offers the digitalisation assistants training and level 2 support. It is recommended to test connection quality and functioning of the software on the participants’ devices on the day before the examination. Please find further information on the website “Alternativen zur Präsenzlehre” (alternatives to classroom teaching).