The term “Pickering emulsions” dates back to the beginning of the 20th century when Sir Spencer Pickering discovered for the first time that the interface of emulsions can be stabilized by solid particles. Such systems prove highly stable based on the mechanic barrier by the layer of particles around the droplets of the disperse phase. In order to act as stabilizers the particles must be wettable by both the continuous and the disperse phase, which often requires special pre-treatment with hydrophobizing agents. We are concerned with the self-assembly processes leading to Pickering stabilization with in-situ hydrophobization and in-situ formation of the particles.
- Cao, Z.; Schrade, A.; Landfester, K.; Ziener, U. Synthesis of raspberry-like organic–inorganic hybrid nanocapsules via pickering miniemulsion polymerization: Colloidal stability and morphology. J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem. 2011, 49 (11), 2382.
- Schrade, A.; Cao, Z.; Landfester, K.; Ziener, U. Preparation of Raspberry-like Nanocapsules by the Combination of Pickering Emulsification and Solvent Displacement Technique. Langmuir 2011, 27 (11), 6689.
- Schrade, A.; Mikhalevich, V.; Landfester, K.; Ziener, U. Synthesis and characterization of positively charged, alumina-coated silica/polystyrene hybrid nanoparticles via pickering miniemulsion polymerization. J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem. 2011, 49 (22), 4735.
- Kang, B.; Schrade, A.; Xu, Y.; Chan, Y.; Ziener, U. Synthesis and characterization of dually labeled pickering-type stabilized polymer nanoparticles in a downscaled miniemulsion system. Langmuir 2012, 28 (25), 9347.
- Schrade, A.; Mailänder, V.; Ritz, S.; Landfester, K.; Ziener, U. Surface Roughness and Charge Influence the Uptake of Nanoparticles: Fluorescently Labeled Pickering-Type versus Surfactant-Stabilized Nanoparticles. Macromol. Biosci. 2012, 12 (11), 1459.
- Schrade, A.; Landfester, K.; Ziener, U. Pickering-type stabilized nanoparticles by heterophase polymerization. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2013, 42 (16), 6823.
- Sihler, S.; Schrade, A.; Cao, Z.; Ziener, U. Inverse Pickering Emulsions with Droplet Sizes below 500 nm. Langmuir 2015, 31 (38), 10392.