Financial Modeling SS 2016
The goal of this course is that students are able to solve practical financial problems with Excel, using spreadsheet functions as well as VBA programming. Students will also have an increased familiarity with methods and concepts from finance.
Relevant information and downloads will be made available via Moodle.
Please bring your own laptops. Only around 10 university laptops are available.
Familiarity with basic concepts from financial economics (discounting, risk and return, option pricing). The course is structured such that you can acquire such a knowledge by parallel attendance of the lecture Finanzierung. Asset Pricing plus Financial Mathematics I also provide the necessary background.
If you're an Excel novice watch one of our introduction videos for Excel 2003 or Excel 2010 in English or German language (will be available via Moodle).
Characterizing the course
Before a session takes place:
- Do the homework (included in the problem set) from the last session.
- Solve the preparation sheet (included in the problem set) to get familiar with the main Excel skills that are required in the upcoming session.
A typical session will look like this:
- The instructor introduces the problem (10 minutes)
- Students solve the problem on the PC with Excel; instructor is available to answer questions (70 minutes)
- Some results may be presented in the meantime
- Discussion of the modeling approaches and the final results (10 minutes)
A restricted number of laptops is available in the classroom. You can bring your own laptop.
Language of instruction is most probably English; individual questions can be discussed in German.
You will find all relevant information on our Moodle site.
Dr. Nino Papiashvili
Felix Kircher (Student Teach. Assis.)
Dates and Room
Please note that the parallel session is cancelled. We now offer just one session:
- 2.15 pm - 3.45 pm in E20 (Heho 18)
- 2.30 pm - 4.00 pm in 1.20 (Heho 18)
Laptops from the University are only available in the first session!
Please note our detailed time table on Moodle.
The exam is of closed form that means you have to take the first exam to be allowed to take the retake of the exam.
For further information about the exam visit Moodle.
This lecture is open for
- Wiwi (BSc, MSc, Dipl)
- WiMa/WiPhy (BSc, MSc, Dipl)
- Finance (MSc)
and others according to study plan.