Special aspects of insurance economics (Summer)
Masterseminar 2/0 SWS
This seminar takes place as a block seminar. The attendance at all seminar dates is required.
In this seminar, we are going to focus on some topics in life and pension insurance. We are specifically dealing with different types of risk inherent in a life insurance contract and optimal retirement products. The seminar is based on scientific papers that summarize recent results in this area.
It is possible to work on self-proposed topics.
If you are interested, please register for the seminar at
(From January 28th 2019 to February 2nd 2019 you must enter your seminar preferences in the tab "Seminars”)
You can submit your topic preferences from February 3th 2019 to February 10th 2019, by emailing to Dr. Thai Nguyen.
A preliminary seminar meeting will take place on February, 14th 2019, 10 a.m. , at the Institute of Insurance Science (room 1.69, HeHo 20).
The seminar is suitable for Master students in Wirtschaftsmathematik, Wirtschaftswissenschaften or Finance. Previous knowledge in Life, Health, and Pension Mathematics, Insurance Economics and Financial Mathematics 1 are helpful.
The seminar performance consists of three parts:
- A seminar presentation about a selected topic with a presentation of the results and some application examples and the moderation of the following discussion. Duration of the presentation: 90 minutes (including discussion). The topics of the presentations are generally assigned to groups of participants. The presentation is a performance of the whole group.
- A written formulation of the presentation documents as a support for the participants of a maximum length of three pages. Delivery of the presentation documents: at least one week before the presentation via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The creation of the presentation documents is a performance of the whole group.
- Active participation in this seminar.
Based on the performance, every participant will be credited with a grade.
- Boon, L. N., Briere, M., & Werker, B. J. (2018). Longevity Risk: To Bear or to Insure? Working paper.
- Dirk Broeders, Roel Mehlkopf and Annick van Ool (2018). The economics of sharing macro-longevity risk. Working paper.
- Huang, H., Milevsky, M. A., & Salisbury, T. S. (2017). Retirement spending and biological age. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 84, 58-76.
- Huang, H., & Milevsky, M. A. (2016). Longevity risk and retirement income tax efficiency: A location spending rate puzzle. Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, 71, 50-62.
- Milevsky, M. A., & Huang, H. (2011). Spending Retirement on Planet Vulcan: The Impact of Longevity Risk Aversion on Optimal Withdrawal Rates (corrected July 2011). Financial Analysts Journal, 67(2), 45-58.
- Milevsky, M. A., & Huaxiong, H. (2018). The Utility Value of Longevity Risk Pooling: Analytic Insights. Working paper.
- Milevsky, M. A., & Salisbury, T. S. (2013). Optimal retirement tontines for the 21st century: with reference to mortality derivatives in 1693. arXiv preprint arXiv:1307.2824.
- Milevsky, M. A., & Salisbury, T. S. (2015). Optimal retirement income tontines. Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, 64, 91-105.