How to apply
Start of application period 16th January End of application period
Start of the programme October
The Biomaterials branch of Advanced Materials will not be offered next winter semesters.
Interested students are encouraged to apply for the closely related Biophysics Master instead, for more information please see here.
Academic Requirements MSc programme “Advanced Materials":
1. Bachelor degree
a. Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Materials Science or Electrical Engineering or in other programmes relating to materials/material properties.
b. Duration of Bachelor programme: at least 3 years.
2. Bachelor course work in either Mathematics and Physics or Mathematics and Chemistry each basically 2 courses of 3 hours per week and semester or comparable course work to be evidenced by course information on official transcript of records.
3. Fundamental skills in natural sciences, materials science and/ or engineering sciences*
4. Proof of sufficient English language skills at level C 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
This is proven by:
- 7.0 points or better in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); if the score and Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level are given at the same time, the higher level of language proficiency will be recognised,
- Certificate in Advanced English or Certificate of Proficiency in English at the Cambridge exam,
- 490 (listening), 455 (reading), 200 (speaking) and 200 (writing) points or better in the Test of English for International Communication (scale 10-990) (TOEIC),
- 95 points or better in the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based (TOEFL iBT institution code 8407),
- Level III or level IV for UNIcert® or
GER C1 level or higher, e. g. indicated on the higher education entrance qualification. A language proficiency level of CEF C1 or lower is not recognized.
- an examination (university level) in the area of English language with an expressly stated C1 level, indicated by the Transcript of Records.
This does not apply to applicants whose native language is English.
* These essential skills may be gained by passing the pre master course offered by Ulm University.
Please follow the link to the Online Registration (available during the application phase).
You will be asked to enter the following data: personal data, information on bachelor degree and the university where you obtained it, information on your current academic status.
At the end of the online registration, you will receive a confirmation e-mail.
Documents to be downloaded before closing the online registration:
- Data View of your records showing the data you entered
- Cover Sheet for the application package, it carries your application number
After completing the online registration, please proceed to fill the Application form .xlsx
Read me: "How to complete the application form"
Note: Forms completed in handwriting are not accepted!
It is very important that the application form is filled correctly with information on the grading system at your university as well as information on the courses you attended. If the application form is not filled properly, your application may be rejected.
Upload a signed version of the form along with the other documents (see confirmation e-mail).
Please enter all the required data:
- Application number, received during the online registration.
- Grading system at your university:
Does a credit point or credit hour system exist at your university? Please enter the max. grade and min. passing grade.
- Final grade of your bachelor's degree or current grade point average (GPA) of all courses (if you have not yet finished the bachelor programme).
- Courses details: title, credit points/credit hours earned, grade (it has to be consistent with the max/min passing grade entered). Please copy the title exactly as it is stated on your transcript of records, all the information entered have to be retrievable in your transcript.
Please let us know if you need assistance to complete the form.
The application documents must be
uploaded in electronic form (link provided in the confirmation e-mail) before 15th March.
We do not accept documents sent by fax or attached to e-mails.
- Cover sheet -automatically generated at the end of the online registration. Please upload the signed the cover sheet!
- Application form: completely filled form, with all the infromation on your Bachelor studies. Please upload the signed application form!
- Curriculum vitae, 2 pages maximum, application number must be reported on top. Please upload the signed CV!
- Transcripts of records for all semesters/terms of the bachelor programme reporting your final GPA. Information entered in the application form has to be retrievable on the transcripts. Please highlight information on the grading system stated on the transcript.
- Bachelor's degree certificate with final bachelor grade. If bachelor not yet granted: record of all achievements and examination results obtained so far with grade point average (GPA)
- Score report of English test meeting our standards (for details check “Admission Requirements”)
- Two reference letters by university professors (bachelor university). The letters must be signed by the referee and carry an original, official institution seal. Recommendation from company staff and other persons not affiliated with a university are not accepted.
- Motivation letter: please state in your own words why you choose to apply for the "Advanced Materials" programme at Ulm University and how you hope to benefit from it. Be specific about your personal interests in the field and your future plans. Your statement must not be longer than one page. The application number must be reported on top. Please upload the signed motivation letter!
- APS-certificate: has to be provided by students from PR China and Vietnam only
- Officially certified translations of all documents to English or German (if originals are not written in English or German)
- Application is not valid if documents are sent without prior online registration.
- Do not send any certificates not related to your academic or professional qualifications.
- All copies must be easily readable!