Laboratory of Thermal Process Engineering
The Laboratory of Thermal Process Engineering was established in November 2017 as a part of the Institute of Chemical Engineering and deals with questions related to new thermal separation processes. Multiple dividing wall columns, rotating separation devices and additive manufacturing are currently the main topics of our research. Within our research approach theoretical and experimental methods are contributing equally to reach our goal of deepened process understanding. The research interests of our group are triggered by the megatrends energy efficiency, modularization and flexibilization of chemical production processes. In this context we are attempting to close the gap between fundamental and application oriented research, keeping an eye on industrial relevance.
Head of Laboratory: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Thomas Grützner
Topic for a M.Sc. Thesis
We are looking for a student for a master thesis in the field of process optimization with immediate effect. In a joint project with the Technical University of Hamburg, various optimization strategies for thermal separation processes are to be comparatively investigated.
Contact: M.Sc. Lena Ränger, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Thomas Grützner
Topic for B.Sc. Thesis / HiWi Job
We are looking for a committed student to assist our research in the field of dynamic simulation of multiple dividing wall columns. You should have basic knowledge in process simulator (Aspen Plus / HYSYS) and interest in the field of computational process engineering.
Contact: M.Eng. Ulrich Preißinger, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Thomas Grützner
Head of Group
|Grützner, Thomas Prof. Dr.-Ing.||email@example.com||0731 50-25702|
Scientific Co-Workers (PhD Students)
|Ahmad, Bilal M.Sc.||firstname.lastname@example.org||0731 50-25445|
|Hamamah, Zaid M.Sc.||email@example.com||0731 50-25445|
|Kügele, Simon M.Sc. (external TH Ulm)||firstname.lastname@example.org||0731 50-28304|
|Mathlouthi, Gino M.Eng. (external TH Ulm)||email@example.com||0731 50-16716|
|Neukäufer, Johannes, M.Sc.||firstname.lastname@example.org||0731 50-25715|
|Preißinger, Ulrich M.Eng.||email@example.com||0731 50-25445|
|Ränger, Lena-Marie M.Sc.||firstname.lastname@example.org||0731 50-25715|
|Trescher, Lea M.Sc.||email@example.com||0731 50-25719|
|Järvinen, Olavi M.Eng.||O25firstname.lastname@example.org||0731 50-25704|
- Asjad Lodi B.Sc.
- Chiara Lukas
- Fatmaalzahraa Elsayed B.Sc.
- Yannick Waibel B.Sc.
- Mohamed Adel B.Sc.
- Niclas Frieß
- Prof. Dr. Igor Dejanovic, University of Zagreb (Sept. / Oct. 2019)
- M.Sc. Goran Lukac, University of Zagreb (Sept. / Oct. 2019)
Focus and Methods
- Dividing wall columns, especially with multiple partitioning walls
- Rotating devices in thermal process engineering
- Additive manufacturing related to thermal separation processes
- Process thermodynamics
- Modularization and flexibilization of chemical production processes
- Energy efficient production and separation concepts
- Process simulation with ASPENplus, ASPEN-Custom Modeler and HYSYS
- CFD simulations with OPEN Foam
- Additive manufacturing (3D-printing)
- Dedicated experimental laboratory setups to determine the pressure drop in packed columns, liquid distribution on packings, multiple dividing wall columns, rotating extractors
Bachelor and Master Theses, Research Internships
We are always offering a wide variety of topics for your Bachelor- and Master-Thesis or for research internships. No matter if you want to focus your work on more experimental or more theoratical questions - do not hesitate to approach us.
Currently we offer theses from the following topics:
- Liquid / Solid interfacial interactions
- Static and dynamic contact angle measurements on 3D printed surfaces
- Additive manufacturing
- CFD simulation studies, development of a lab unit for measuring separation efficiencies, equipment design, experimental investigation of maldistribution
- Multiple Dividing Wall column
- Simulations studies for steady-state operation points, development of dynamic models, design of a pilot-scale unit, investigation of control structures, pareto-optimization
How to find us
We are located at "Uni West"
Albert-Einstein-Allee 47, 89081 Ulm, Germany, Building 47, Room 47.2.225