Opening hours of most shops: Mon - Sat from approx. 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (some grocery stores in Ulm are open till 10:00 p.m.), closed on Sundays. No alcohol is sold after 10:00 p.m. in shops in Ulm due to legal regulations.
Ulm und Neu-Ulm has a variety of supermarkets, for example:
- Kaufland: Blaubeurer Straße 29 (Ulm), Vorwerkstraße 2 (Neu-Ulm)
- Rewe: Virchowstraße 1-9, Trollingerweg 14 (Ulm Eselsberg), Leipheimer Straße 55, Wegenerstraße 1 (Neu-Ulm), Magirusstraße 45, Römerstraße 120, Bahnhofstraße 1/1 (Ulm Weststadt), Wielandstraße 56, Schwamberger Straße 35-43 (Ulm Oststadt), Hummelstraße 7-11, Marktplatz 9 (Blaustein)
- Edeka: Bahnhofstraße 5 (Ulm city centre)
Besides the "normal" supermarkets, which can be found all over the city, there are discounters that always offer a good bargain.
- Aldi: Blaubeurer Straße 47 (Ulm), Pfaffenweg 28 (Neu-Ulm), Wegenerstraße 3 (Neu-Ulm), Max-Hilsenbeck-Straße 1 (Blaustein)
- Lidl: Wielandstraße 54 (Ulm Oststadt), Wörthstraße 59 (Ulm Weststadt), Im Starkfeld 59 (Neu-Ulm), Max-Hilsenbeck-Straße 4 (Blaustein)
- Norma: Herrenkellergasse 18 (Ulm city centre), Leipheimer Straße 97 (Neu-Ulm), Ehinger Straße 19, Magirusstraße 40 (Ulm Weststadt)
- Netto: Münsterplatz 16 (Ulm city centre), Söflinger Straße 120 (Ulm Söflingen), Hauptstraße 72 (Neu-Ulm), Bahnhofstraße 11 (Blaustein)
Ulm has a farmer’s market on the Münsterplatz and Neu-Ulm has one on the Petrusplatz, where farmers from the surrounding region offer fresh vegetables, fruits and other food (both markets take place on Wednesdays and Saturdays, in Ulm starting at 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.; in Neu-Ulm starting at 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.).
As in most German cities, you find the best shopping opportunities in the city centre. However, there are also some shopping malls around Ulm.
Facheinkaufszentrum: Blaubeurerstraße 10-50 (Ulm), several stores (also IKEA)
Blautalcenter: Blaubeurer Straße 95 (Ulm), one of the biggest malls in Southern Germany, www.blautal-center.de (only in German!)
Glacis-Galerie: Bahnhofstraße 1/3 (Neu-Ulm) www.glacis-galerie.de (only in German!)
Second-hand articles, flea markets
- You will find second hand shops in Ulm and in Neu-Ulm (only in German!)
- In the category Die gute Tat in the newspaper Ulmer Wochenblatt (section 6), you will find free furniture and home appliance.
- Flea markets, once a month at the Volksfestplatz in Neu-Ulm and at irregular dates at other places, ask local students for other markets. Get more information for exact dates at local press or ask local students, also for other markets.
- Facebook group 'FreeYourStuff Ulm/Neu-Ulm': here you will find free things, but you have to hurry: it's first come, first serve!