Fees and Financing

Tuition and Administrative fees


Students who are not nationals of the European Union or member states of the European Economic Area (Island, Liechtenstein, Norway) and who come from abroad to study in Ulm need to pay a tuition fee of 1500 Euro per semester, i.e. 3000 Euro per year or 6000 for the entire Master program if you complete it within the envisaged two years.  Note that there are some exceptions. To check whether you are exempt from paying fees, consult the information we provide in the below in the field "Exemptions".

Some students are exempt from paying tuition fees. For example, students who completed schooling in Germany (Abitur) or who already have a permanent residential permit in Germany are not required to pay. Also, students from the countries listed below are exempt:

  • Afghanistan
  • Eritrea
  • Syria
  • Somalia
  • Ukraine (depending on their residence permit, students are either exempt or can request a fee waiver).

Further exemption criteria may apply, please have a look here (section: Tuition fees for international students (non-EU nationals)).

An administrative fee of presently 162 Euro will be charged per semester. You can find more information here.


For information on scholarship programs consult the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) scholarship database. Make sure that you tick "Graduate" in the status field on the left when searching the DAAD database. Several of our students have DAAD scholarships, in particular Study Scholarships - Master Studies for All Academic Disciplines. Unfortunately, these scholarships are availabe only for specific countries. The DAAD database will inform you whether you can apply for such a scholarship.

For many scholarships awarded by German institutions, application is usually only possible once you study in Germany.  For others, e.g. DAAD sholarships, you need to apply early. The University of Ulm also awards scholarships. For the Deutschlandstipendium, a national scholarship program, application is possible only once you study in Ulm.

Working during your studies

You can take up part-time jobs during your studies. These can be related to finance and similar to an internship experience. It is also possible to work as a part-time teaching or research assistant at the university. Typically, it is easier to find such positions during your second year of studies.

Living expenses

Students are responsible for their own living expenses which run, as a guide line, at 945 to 1000 Euro per month. For a more detailed overview, please consult this page.