Our Fields of Research and Teaching
The shape of cells and some of their functions are determined by three kinds of cytoskeletons. Several joint research projects with the Clinic of Internal Medicine investigates the keratin cytoskeleton. This cytoskeleton seems to be important for the motility of cancer cells originating from the pankreas carcinoma. We measure mechanical properties by atomic force microscopy and by particle tracking in optical tweezers.
Polymers versatile materials consisting of long molecules. We investigate their mechanical and structural properties by atomic force microscopy, light scattering and by optical tweezers. We help to better understand the structure-function relation to improve advanced and bulk polymer materials.
Objects with sizes below a micrometer show novel optical effects. Sharp edges serve as an amplification site to increase the field strength of optical fields. Arrays of ordered nanostructures can slow down light and even make some structures invisible. Our research is aimed at better and more efficient optical investigation methods for few to single molecules.
Prof. Dr. sc. nat./ETH Zürich Othmar MARTI
Phone: +49 731 50 23010
Prof. O. Marti:
Effective Oct. 1st 2013 Prof. Dr. Susana Gema Fernández Huelga is the Erasmus Departmental Coordinator for Physics. Her office is located at O25 443.
- Module Mechanics, Summer Term 2014 Web Version, pdf Version, epub Version (in German)
- Module Electricity and Magnetism, Summer Term 2020 Web Version, pdf Version, epub Version (in German)
- Module Optics, Winter Term 2016/2017 Web Version, pdf Version, epub Version (in German)
- Module Thermodynamics, updated 2015 Web Version, pdf Version, epub Version (in German)
- Module Atomic Physics, Summer Term 2019 Web Version, pdf Version, epub Version (in German)
- Module Physical Electronics and Measurement Science pdf Version, Web Version and epub Version(in German)
- Module Nuclear, Particle and Astrophysics 2022 pdf Version as in lecture or pdf Version sorted according to main parts (German)
- more lecture notes