Applicants for this program must have completed a Bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent thereof) in mathematics or in another quantitative and mathematically-orientated discipline from a recognized university. Applicants with a degree in physics, engineering or computer science are usually eligible. A degree in economics can be sufficient provided that you have successfully taken a significant number of courses in mathematics and statistics. A degree in business, commerce or accounting is usually not sufficient for admission because typical programs in these fields do not contain the amount of training in mathematics and statistics that is required for the MSc Finance. Please note that mathematics courses outside university (e.g. secondary school) cannot be considered as a surrogate for missing qualifications at the Bachelor's level.
Note that courses in financial mathematics and mathematics, which are an integral part of the MSc Finance, are on the level of mathematics programs. Applicants should therefore have a genuine interest in mathematics.
If you are in doubt whether you meet the requirements, beginning from October 1st each year, you can send us an email with only your transcript of records for a preliminary check. Please try not to send attachments larger than 2 MB.
Furthermore, an above-average performance in the completed degree and good knowledge of the English language is required. For the latter, you can use a TOEFL (score of at least 72 for the internet-based test) or an IELTS (score of 5.5 or better). A test is not needed by applicants whose mother tongue is English or who have completed a Bachelor taught in English.
You do not need prior knowledge in finance. The compulsory courses of the first semester are structured such that they can serve as an introduction to finance. Successful applicants will display the willingness to work in a challenging, multi-cultural environment, a strong mathematical ability and good communication skills.
Next intake is winter semester 2023/2024.
Applications will start on January 15, 2023. Deadline is March 15, 2023.
The earlier you apply the earlier you will get feedback - we recommend you to apply as soon as possible. Application instructions and the link to the online application plattform will be provided here before the start of the application period.
Important documents that you will need for the application:
- Certificate of your Bachelor degree (or other degree qualifying you for the Master) including a transcript of records. If you have not yet completed the degree but expect it to complete before the program starts, it is also possible to apply with a preliminary transcript of records. You can get an admission based on the transcript of records, and hand in the final certificate later on.
- Grading system of your studies indicating the minimum grade required for passing the bachelor's degree as well as the highest grade possible. If this information is not given in the degree certificate/transcript, it must be provided separately in an official document or letter.
- Certified translations of documents that were not issued in German/English
- Proof of English language knowledge (Not needed by applicants who have completed a Bachelor taught in English or whose mother tongue is English). As with the degree certificate, you can hand in the test results later.
- A letter of motivation of approximately one page length and not more than two pages long in which you briefly describe your motivation and expectations for studying in our Master in Finance program.
- Curriculum vitate (CV) - maximum 2 pages long. Your CV should contain information about your academic education, prior work experience and a publication list, if applicable.
Information for applicants from Ukraine
The government has just announced its plan to waive tuition fees for students from Ukraine. We will provide details once this has been decided upon.