Active Optoelectronic Devices (AOD)
This course focuses on advanced topics in semiconductor laser diodes, photodetectors, and optical modulators, predominantly for use in high-speed optical communication systems. Depending on the vote of the audience, the lectures are given in either German or English.
- Edge-emitting semiconductor lasers: longitudinal multimode, lateral and transverse mode behavior, temperature effects, optical near- and far-fields, frequency modulation, mirror coatings, laser noise, high-power lasers, DBR and DFB lasers for use in telecommunications, tunable laser diodes
- Vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs): principles and applications
- Photodetectors: PIN-type, avalanche photodiode (APD), metal–semiconductor–metal (MSM), resonant-cavity-enhanced, waveguide-type, high-speed designs
- Optical modulators: physical effects (plasma, electroabsorption (Franz–Keldysh), quantum-confined Stark (QCSE), electro-optic (Pockels)), phase modulators, Mach–Zehnder interferometer (MZI) modulators, absorption modulators, generation of higher-order modulation formats such as quaternary phase shift keying (QPSK) or quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) used in modern optical communication systems
- A comprehensive English written manuscript is provided.
- H. Venghaus, N. Grote (Eds.), Fibre Optic Communication − Key Devices, Springer Series in Optical Sciences, vol. 161. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2012
- R.S. Quimby, Photonics and Lasers − An Introduction. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2006
- J.M. Senior, Optical Fiber Communications, 3rd edition. Edinburgh Gate: Pearson Education Limited, 2009
- K.J. Ebeling, Integrated Optoelectronics. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1993
- R. Michalzik (Ed.), VCSELs − Fundamentals, Technology and Applications of Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers, Springer Series in Optical Sciences, vol. 166. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2013
- Bachelor degree
- Courses Einführung in die Optoelektronik or Optical Communications
- Until the summer semester 2019 this course was called Optoelectronic Devices (OD).
- Adding one exercise hour per week in 2020 required a new name, which is now AOD.
- Rainer Michalzik
- Institute of Functional Nanosystems /
- Optoelectronics Division
- Albert-Einstein-Allee 45
- 89081 Ulm, Germany
- Room: 45.2.234
- Phone: (0731) 50-26048
- Fax: (0731) 50-26049
Tuesday 8:15−10:00 h, room 43.2.101
Wednesday 8:15−10:00 h, room 43.2.102
Hours per week
L 3, E 1 (6 credits)
Oral exam by appointment