Lecture "Thin Films"
- Vacuum Science and Technology
- Kinetic gas theory, application
- Vacuum pumps and measurement techniques
- Thin film growth techniques
- Nucleation and growth of thin films
- Thermodynamics and kinetics of nucleation and growth
- Epitaxial lattice mismit and defects
- Morphology of film growth
- Grain growth, texture, microstructure control
- Amorphous thin films
- Mechanical properties of thin films
- Internal stresses : origin and analysis
- Mechanical relaxation effects
- Magnetic properties of thin films
- Magnetic structures in thin films
- Magnetic recording media
- Materials Science of Thin Films, M. Ohring, Academic Press, 2002
- Nanoelectronics and Information Technology, R. Waser (ed.), Wiley VCH, 2003
- The Materials Science of Semiconductors, A. Rockett, Springer, 2008 (see Springer ebook library of KIZ)
- Heinrich and Bland, Ultrathin Magnetic Structures 4 - Applications of Nanomagnetism, Springer, 2005 (see Springer ebook library of KIZ)
- Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, J.M.D. Coey, Cambridge University Press, 2010 (e-book available over KIZ)
Lecture materials will be availble through the moodle system for registered participants. The password will be given during the lecture.
There will be both problem solving exercises and practical labs offered.
The labs will focus on thin film preparation, analysis and property measurements (thin film sputtering, XPS and XRR analysis, MOKE, GMR sensor lab). Lab groups/dates of experiment will be organized via moodle.
|Lab name||tutor||date and time|
|Thin film deposition: sputtering||t.b.a.|
|X-ray Photoemission Spectroscopy||t.b.a.|
Form: oral examination by appointment with Prof. Herr.