M.Sc. Carolin Schindler
Towards Natural Multimodal Interaction with Argumentative Dialogue Systems
Argumentation is an essential element of human communication and reasoning. Whenever information is incomplete or inconsistent, we start to argue. This can take place internally as well as externally with other people or conversational agents. Recent works increase the flexibility of argumentative dialogue systems with respect to the possible topics of the argumentation. Still, the naturalness of the interaction with the dialogue system shows room for improvement.
Possible research directions are
- the set of moves allowed by the system and the user,
- the modalities perceived, processed, and evaluated by the dialogue system,
- the modalities output/generated by the dialogue system,
- the combination of different types of argumentative dialogue,
- the communication strategy applied by the system, and
- the extension and refinement of the underlying argumentation structure / knowledge base of the system and its automatic generation.
- Natural Multimodal Human-Machine Interaction
- Natural Language Processing, esp. in the field of Computational Argumentation
- Aritificial Intelligence, esp. Machine Learning including Deep Learning
Achieved Academic Degrees
Master of Science in Cognitive Systems at Ulm University
Bachelor of Science in Informationssystemtechnik at Ulm University
Through my inter-disciplinary course of studies, my background is in Computer Science and Psychology as well as in Electrical Engineering.
N. Rach, C. Schindler, I. Feustel, J. Daxenberger, W. Minker and S. Ultes
From Argument Search to Argumentative Dialogue: A Topic-independent Approach to Argument Acquisition for Dialogue Systems
Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Meeting of the Special Interest Group on Discourse and Dialogue, ACL, Singapore, 2021
Link to Document
Argumentative Relation Classification for Argumentative Dialogue Systems
Bachelor's thesis, 2020
When you are interested in working on a thesis or project within my PhD topic and research interests, just write me an email (Deutsch, English). Based on your background, we can discuss open topics and your own proposals.