Prof. Dr. Johannes Keller
Johannes Keller, Diploma in Social Sciences at the University of Mannheim (2001), Dissertation at the University of Mannheim (2004), visiting scholar at the University of Michigan, Institute for Social Research (Ann Arbor, USA; 2005-2006 ), visiting scholar at the Université catholique de Louvain, Department of Psychology (Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium; 2006-2007); “Habilitation” in psychology at the University of Mannheim (2009); Chair of Social Psychology at Ulm University (since 2009).
- Analysis of human understanding based on fundamental principles of nature - "Die KOKOLOP-Vorgehensweise"
- Transfer of mechanisms underlying human understanding to autonomous machines
- The role of self-regulatory processes in social cognition and social interaction.
- Psychological essentialism and its relationship to mechanisms of motivated social cognition.
- The underlying psychological mechanisms of FLOW-experiences.
- Behavior in social dilemmas
- Psychological factors involved in (hospital) hand hygiene behavior
- Empathy and compassion
The role of psychosis proneness as basic personality trait concerning crucial social psychological phenomena (such as prejudice, loneliness, & conspiracy beliefs)
Selection of 10 important publications
1) Keller, J. & Dauenheimer, D. (2003). Stereotype threat in the classroom: Dejection mediates the disrupting threat effect on women’s math performance. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29, 371-381.
2) Keller, J. (2005). In genes we trust: The biological component of psychological essentialism and its relationship to mechanisms of motivated social cognition. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 88, 686-702.
3) Keller, J. & Bless, H. (2008). Flow and regulatory compatibility: An experimental test of the flow model of intrinsic motivation. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34, 196-209.
4) Keller, J. & Bless, H. (2008). Expectancy effects on cognitive test performance: Regulatory focus as a catalyst. European Journal of Social Psychology, 38, 187-212.
5) Rangel, U., & Keller, J. (2011). Essentialism goes social: Belief in social determinism as a component of psychological essentialism. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 100, 1056-1078.
6) Keller, J., Bless, H., Blomann, F. & Kleinböhl, D. (2011). Physiological aspects of flow experiences: Skills-demand-compatibility effects on heart rate variability and salivary cortisol. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47, 849-852.
7) Keller, J., & Pfattheicher, S. (2011). Vigilant self-regulation, cues of being watched and cooperativeness. European Journal of Personality, 25, 363-372.
8) Keller, J. & Pfattheicher, S. (2013). The Compassion-hostility-paradox: The interplay of vigilant, prevention-focused self-regulation, compassion and hostility. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 39, 1518-1529.
9) Pfattheicher, S., Sassenrath, C., & Keller, J. (2019). Compassion magnifies third-party punishment. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 117, 124-141.
10) Sassenrath, C., Diefenbacher, S., Siegel, A., & Keller, J. (2016). A person-oriented approach to hand hygiene behavior: Emotional empathy fosters hand hygiene practice. Psychology & Health, 31, 205-227.
SERVICE TO THE FIELD
Member of the organizing committee of the Annual Meeting of Graduate Students in Social Psychology sponsored by the Fachgruppe Sozialpsychologie (German Society for Social Psychology) held at the University of Mannheim, May 5 to 8, 2005
Organizer and teacher of a workshop on Regulatory Focus Theory sponsored by the Postgraduate Program in Social Psychology (a cooperative program of the Social Psychology Departments at the Universities of Basel, Freiburg, Heidelberg, and Mannheim) held at the University of Mannheim, June 3, 2005
Teacher of a workshop on “Stereotype Threat“ (December 2008) at the International Graduate College "Conflict and Cooperation between Social Groups." Universität Jena
Teacher at the Annual Meeting of Graduate Students in Social Psychology sponsored by the Fachgruppe Sozialpsychologie (German Society for Social Psychology) held at the University of Munich, June 2011
Organisation of the Small Group Meeting on „Power, morality, and norms“ at Ulm University, sponsored by the Fachgruppe Sozialpsychologie der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Psychologie, March 2012
Ad hoc reviewer for the German Research Foundation (DFG), Fonds zur Förderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung (FWF) Austria; Israel Science Foundation; Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada; Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO);Polish National Science Center, French National Research Agency (ANR); National Science Foundation (NSF, USA)
Teacher at the 7th Summer School of the International Max Planck Research School on Adapting Behavior in a Fundamentally Uncertain World des Max Planck Instituts für Ökonomik in Jena (August 2013)
Organisation of the Small Group Meeting – sponsored by the European Association of Social Psychology (EASP) - „Towards a multifaceted understanding of empathy: Integrating findings on physiological, affective, cognitive and behavioral underpinning” October 6-8, 2013, Schloss Reisensburg, Günzburg, Germany
Editorial Board Member European Journal of Social Psychology (2007-2009; since 2012)
Editor of a special issue in the Journal of Economic Psychology on the topic “Self-Regulation and Strategic Motivational Orientations in Economic Contexts”
Member of the program committee for the Kongress der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Psychologie 2012 (Bielefeld), 2014 (Bochum)
Member of the scientific committee for the General Meeting of the European Association of Social Psychology (EASP) in Amsterdam 2014
Associate Editor British Journal of Social Psychology (2017-2018)
Ausrichter der 16. Tagung der Fachgruppe Sozialpsychologie der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Psychologie, 4.-6. September 2017
Fachgutachter für den Deutschen Akademischen Austauschdienst (DAAD)
REVIEW ACTIVITIES FOR:
American Educational Research Journal
American Journal of Political Science
Asian Journal of Social Psychology
Basic and Applied Social Psychology
British Journal of Social Psychology
Cognition and Emotion
Consciousness and Cognition
Cultural Diversity & Ethnic Minority Psychology
European Journal of Psychology of Education
European Journal of Social Psychology
European Management Journal
Frontiers in Human Neuroscience
Group Processes and Intergroup Relations
IEEE Virtual Reality
Interacting with Computers
Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology
Journal of Applied Social Psychology
Journal of Clinical and Social Psychology
Journal of Cognitive Psychology
Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition
Journal of Experimental Social Psychology
Journal of Personality
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology
Journal of Social and Political Psychology
Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering
Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie
Learning and Individual Differences
Motivation & Emotion
Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology
Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin
Personality and Social Psychology Review
Psychologie in Erziehung und Unterricht
Psychology of Women Quarterly
Scandinavian Journal of Psychology
Self and Identity
Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology
Social Psychological and Personality Science
Social Psychology of Education
Spanish Journal of Psychology
Swiss Journal of Psychology
Zeitschrift für Pädagogische Psychologie
Zeitschrift für Sportpsychologie
Zeitschrift für Sozialpsychologie (seit 2008: Social Psychology)
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
American Psychological Association
Association for Psychological Science
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Psychologie (Fachgruppe Sozialpsychologie)
European Association of Social Psychology
Human Behavior and Evolution Society
Society of Experimental Social Psychology
Society for Personality and Social Psychology
Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
Society for Psychophysiological Research
Society for the Study of Motivation
SERVICE IN THE CONTEXT OF UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATION (AT ULM UNIVERSITY)
2009 - 2013 Head of the examination board for the degree programs B.Sc./M.Sc. Psychology
2013 - 2015 Dean of studies for the degree programs B.Sc./M.Sc. Psychology
2009 - 2017 Member of the board of studies for the degree programs B.Sc./M.Sc. Psychology
2012 - 2017 Member of the examination board Dr. phil.