Dr. James Kennedy
I am currently a research assistant ("Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter") at the Institute of Modelling, Analysis and Dynamics of the University of Stuttgart, having being a postdoc in Ulm with a fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. Before that I was at the Group of Mathematical Physics of the University of Lisbon and the School of Mathematics and Statistics of the University of Sydney. I am returning to Ulm for the summer semester 2016 to fill in for Prof. Anna dall'Acqua at the Institute of Analysis.
- Elliptic and parabolic partial differential equations
- Functional analysis and operator theory
- Spectral theory
- Boundary value problems for second order elliptic PDEs
- Shape optimisation and isoperimetric problems
Publications and Preprints
- (with D. Daners and J. Glück) Eventually and asymptotically positive semigroups on Banach lattices, to appear in J. Differential Equations, preprint arXiv:1511.05294
- (with P. Kurasov, G. Malenová and D. Mugnolo) On the spectral gap of a quantum graph, to appear in Ann. Henri Poincaré, preprint arXiv:1504.01962
- (with R. Chill and D. Hauer) Nonlinear semigroups generated by j-elliptic functionals, J. Math Pures Appl. (2016), to appear, preprint arXiv:1412.4151
- (with D. Daners and J. Glück) Eventually positive semigroups of linear operators, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 433 (2016), 1561-1594, MR3398779, preprint arXiv:1511.09020
- (with P. Freitas) Summation formula inequalities for eigenvalues of the perturbed harmonic oscillator, submitted, preprint available on request
- (with P. Freitas) Summation formula inequalities for eigenvalues of Schrödinger operators, submitted, preprint available on request
- (with W. Arendt and A.F.M. ter Elst) Analytical aspects of isospectral drums, Oper. Matrices 8 (2014), 255-277, MR3202939, preprint arXiv:1305.1775
- (with W. Arendt, A.F.M. ter Elst and M. Sauter) The Dirichlet-to-Neumann operator via hidden compactness, J. Funct. Anal. 266 (2014), 1757-1786, MR3146835, preprint arXiv:1305.0720
- Closed nodal surfaces for simply connected domains in higher dimensions, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 62 (2013), 785-798, MR3164844, preprint arXiv:1009.1502
- (with P.R.S. Antunes and P. Freitas) Asymptotic behaviour and numerical approximation of optimal eigenvalues of the Robin Laplacian, ESAIM: Control Optim. Calc. Var. 19 (2013), 438-459, MR3049718, preprint arXiv:1204.0648
- The nodal line of the second eigenfunction of the Robin Laplacian in R2 can be closed, J. Differential Equations 251 (2011), 3606-3624, MR2837697, preprint arXiv:1009.4768
- On the isoperimetric problem for the higher eigenvalues of the Robin and Wentzell Laplacians, Z. Angew. Math. Phys. 61 (2010), 781-792.
MR2726626, preprint arXiv:0910.3966
- (with D. Daners) On the asymptotic behaviour of the eigenvalues of a Robin problem, Differential Integral Equations 23 (2010), 659-669.
MR2654263, preprint arXiv:0912.0318
- An isoperimetric inequality for the second eigenvalue of the Laplacian with Robin boundary conditions, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 139 (2009), 627-633. MR2448584
- A Faber-Krahn inequality for the Laplacian with Generalised Wentzell boundary conditions, J. Evol. Equ. 8 (2008), 557-582. MR2438387
- (with D. Daners) Uniqueness in the Faber-Krahn inequality for Robin problems, SIAM J. Math. Anal. 39 (2007-08), 1191-1207. MR2368899
- PhD thesis: On the isoperimetric problem for the Laplacian with Robin and Wentzell boundary conditions, The University of Sydney, 2010.
Please send me an email if you would like a copy of one of these but do not have access to it.
- James Kennedy
- Institute of Applied Analysis
- University of Ulm
- 89069 Ulm
- Room: Helmholtzstr. 18, E.06
- Tel: +49 731 / 50 23592
- Fax: +49 731 / 50 23619
- email: james.kennedy(at)uni-ulm.de
- Office hour: Wed 11:00-12:00
- (or whenever I am in)