German applicants and applicants enrolled in an Ulm University program apply directly via the university's online application system. Other applicants apply online via uni-assist. For details, please check the application website.
Application period for the winter semester: 01 April - 15 May (cut-off period)
The precise legal rules for the application process are defined in the admissions statutes (Zulassungsordnung). For your convenience, we explain the most important points here; if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Be sure to include the following documents to demonstrate that you are qualified to enroll in the MSc Cognitive Systems. All documents must be in English or German.
- An official copy of your BSc degree in Psychology, Computer Science, Cognitive Science or a related degree. For the latter, your course contents should cover basic knowledge in at least one of the three topics: information processing in natural systems, information processing in technical systems or mathematical modelling. Graduates of other subjects (in particular engineering, physics, biology with a focus on neuroscience, and mathematics) can also be considered provided that the subject-specific suitability for the program is given. The BSc course duration should at least have been three years. The grade of your bachelor's degree must be 2.5 or better. If you did not yet complete your bachelor's degree, you must already have achieved examination results with an average mark of 2.5 or better.
- An official copy of your “transcript of records” document, which lists all the courses you have taken for your first degree. The list must specify the grade and number of credit points for each course and must include the final grade or average grade.
- Total number of credit points required for BSc degree
- An official copy of your "diploma supplement" (if available)
- In case of foreign certificates: a grading scale stating maximum and minimum passing grade of BSc degree.
- Additional subject-specific information if your BSc degree is not in Psychology, Computer Science or Cognitive Systems.
- A declaration that you have never been expelled from an MSc degree program in Germany.
- If you are not a native English speaker and you have no university degree completely taught in English, we require a proof of an adequate command of English of level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) through Test of English as a Foreign Language, TOEFL, with at least 95 points in the internet-based TOEFL; or any comparable proof such as IELTS with a minimum of 7.0 points.
- In the case of a higher education degree from China, Vietnam or India: APS certificate or APS confirmation. If APS certificate from India is not yet available, please upload proof of application.
- If your documents are not in German or English, please provide a certified translation.
When we have more applicants than we can enroll, we will rank applicants according to their grades of their BSc degrees.
Interested students who have submitted their application documents will be examined according to the documents in the admission procedure. A ranking list for the restricted study program is drawn up from the documents and the assessment of further criteria. The regulations for admission are laid down in the admissions statutes. The official statutes of the English-language MSc Program Cognitive Systems reflect the NEW APPLICATION PERIOD (01 April - 15 May) and the regulation of English language requirements via the university-wide language statutes. We summarize the relevant criteria for your convenience in the section above.
For general inquiries on Cognitive Systems
Dr. Markus Maucher
Study Commission Computer Science
Phone: +49 731 /50-24106
WhatsApp: +49 152 /22543165
Fax: +49 731 /50-24102
Room: O27 548
Dr. Sandra Mann
Tel.: +49 731 /50-26004
Room: 027 548
|Electronic phone directory of Ulm University