Dr. Oliver Wiltschka
Chemical engineers participate in major industrial corporations, small and medium-sized enterprises and the civil service. Due to broadly based training, chemical engineers match the multifaceted needs of the modern job market. Professional activity is not restricted to the chemical industry, but extends to many associated industries.
Master of Science (M.Sc.)Studientyp
120Regelstudienzeit (in Semestern)
M.Sc. Chemical Engineering focuses on
Educational requirements to be met by future students:
Start of Programme
|Summer||December 1 - January 15||April|
January 16 - March 15
1. Proof of a bachelor's degree with examination results in the study course chemical engineering or any other programme with essentially the same content at any higher education institution in Germany or abroad or any degree recognized as equivalent awarded after a minimum of three years of study.
2. Examination results must comply with one of the following criteria:
- final grade of the bachelor's degree of 2.5 or better, or if the degree has not yet been completed examination results showing an average of 2.5 or better by the application deadline.
- Applicants who do not fulfill the above-average grade and hold a bachelor's degree with an overall grade of 3.0 or better have to provide their qualification for this master's programme by an admission examination*. This also applies if the bachelor's programme has not yet been completed and the examination results show an average of 3.0 or better by the application period.
3. Fundamental skills in natural sciences, materials science and/ or engineering sciences
4. Proof of sufficient English language skills at Level C 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR)
This is proven by:
- 7.0 points or better in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); if the score and Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level are given at the same time, the higher level of language proficiency will be recognised,
- Certificate in Advanced English or Certificate of Proficiency in English at the Cambridge exam,
- 490 (listening), 455 (reading), 200 (speaking) and 200 (writing) points or better in the Test of English for International Communication (scale 10-990) (TOEIC),
- 95 points or better in the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based (TOEFL iBT institution code 8407),
- Level III or level IV for UNIcert® or
GER C1 level or higher, e. g. indicated on the higher education entrance qualification. A language proficiency level of CEF C1 or lower is not recognized.
- an examination (university level) in the area of English language with an expressly stated C1 level, indicated by the Transcript of Records.
This does not apply to applicants whose native language is English.
* Applicants living abroad may participate in an online admission examination.
Please follow the link to the Online Registration (available during the application phase).
You will be asked to enter the following data: personal data, information on bachelor degree and the university where you obtained it, information on your current academic status.
At the end of the online registration, you will receive a confirmation e-mail.
Documents to be downloaded before closing the online registration:
After completing the online registration, please proceed to fill the respective application form:
for the summer semester : n.a.
for the winter semester : n.a.
Note: application forms completed in handwriting are not accepted!
It is very important that the application form is filled correctly with information on the grading system at your university as well as information on the courses you attended. If the application form is not filled properly, your application may be rejected.
Upload a signed version of the form along with the other documents (see confirmation e-mail).
Please enter all the required data:
Please let us know if you need assistance to complete the form.
The application documents must be
uploaded in electronic form (link provided in the confirmation e-mail) before the respective deadline 15th January/15th March.
We do not accept documents sent by fax or attached to e-mails.
Graduates of the Ulm University with a B. Sc. in Chemical Engineering, should use the application form "Antrag auf Studiengangwechsel / Umschreibung vom Bachelor in den Master" and bring it to the Studiensekretariat together with the the other documents showing the fulfillment of the formal admission requirements (grade of bachelor´s degree: 2.5 or better; if the grade of the bachelor´s degree is 2.6 - 3.0: invitation to admission interview; adequate English skills). For more information please read here.
Tuition Fees are only applicable for second degree and international students (non-EU students). Further infomation can be found here.
Additionally the university and the students union (Studierendenwerk Ulm) currently charge administrative fees approximately amounting to 165 € each semester. Students admitted to the "Chemical Engineering" programme will be asked to pay these fees for the following term immediately after they accepted admission.
A student at Ulm University will face the following living expenses :
• University/students union administrative fee: ~165 € each semester
• Health insurance: 80 € each month
• Rent: approximately 300 € each month
• Public transportation (semester ticket): 115 € each semester
• General cost of living (depending on the lifestyle): approx. 300 € each month
Expenses per year: approx. 8700 €
Expenses for the regular duration of the programme (2 years): approx. 17 400 €
Non-EU students have to pay tuition fees: 1500 € each semester
Information on scholarship programs can be found at the German Academic Exchange Services (DAAD). Typically, students will have to apply for a scholarship one year ahead of time. Ulm University does not offer any additional scholarships for incoming students.
Proof of Financial Resources
Typically, proof of financial resources of at least 700 € per month will be necessary to obtain a student visa. Additionally, many German embassies require students to prove that they dispose of a specific amount of money (approx. 8000 €) on a German bank account before a visa will be issued. Please inquire at the German embassy in your country for specific requirements.
Students admitted to the programme are advised to book a room in a student dormitory. This request is a part of our Acceptance letter.
There are four dorms downtown (25 min bus drive to the campus) and one near the campus (walking distance). All rooms are one person rooms and fully furnished. You share kitchen (with all cooking facilities) and bathroom with a few persons; according to the type of dorm this can be 2 to 12 persons. There are no dorms exclusively for men or women, however some appartments may be women only.
Student Dormitories in Ulm
Monthly rent: between 240 and 400 Euro .
Zuständig für Studienfachberatung
Zuständig für Bewerbung/Zulassung