Information for host institutions

This is especially important if the researcher is supposed to be employed by the university. In case of prospective PhD students, it should be checked in good time if their university degrees allow them to start their doctoral research in Germany. This can either be done when handing in the request for admission as a doctoral candidate at the respective doctoral office or by the admissions office in advance.

Request for equivalency check (German & English)

Information of the staff services concerning the employment of foreigners (in German only)

In order to check the employment prerequisites, the staff services need to have access to the required documents as early as possible. Please get in touch with the official in charge of your facility: Here

If the scientist has to apply for a visa, they need an invitation letter from the university or your facility. This letter must contain information about the inviting facility, the duration of the researcher's stay, their planned academic functions, the financing of their stay and the invited researcher. The International Office can provide you with further information.

Normally, a visa is valid for three months.

Please note: It is only possible to enter a contract of employment if the visa states that the respective person may be employed as an academic assistant by Ulm University. For longer stays it is required to apply for a residence permit (zweckgemäßer Aufenthaltstitel) allowing an employment by Ulm University at the Foreigners’ Office after arrival.

Researchers from privileged third countries (§ 41 Abs. 1 AufenthV) - at the moment Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, the US - do not need a visa to enter Germany. However, they need a residence permit if they want to work. Please get in touch with the International Office as soon as possible to avoid any delays.

An agreement of admission is compulsory for getting a residence permit according to § 20 of the residential law (so-called “Forscherrichtline”) for stays exceeding three months. This regulation offers benefits for scientists from non-EU-countries in the context of the subsequent migration of family members as well as in case of a planned research activity in another EU-country (except Great Britain and Denmark).

In case of researchers financed through scholarships, please contact the International Office in good time.

If accommodation in one of the university's guest apartments is wanted, you should send a reservation inquiry to Dezernat V as early as possible.

Further information and contact details (in German only)

The university hospital has its own staff dormitory.
Reservation inquiries and further information: (only in German)

More information on and some examples of search portals for the private housing market in Ulm and Neu-Ulm

Please contact the people listed on the following webpages in good time.

Contact people (without medicine):

Contact people (medicine):

The Centre for Languages and Philology offers numerous German language courses. Since they are often in high demand, early registration is recommended.


There are different options depending on the length of the stay and the status of the researcher. In all cases, one should look for a place as early as possible. The family services can provide more detailed information.

This could make sense in many cases, since it is important to show the public the diverse research fields and activities of the university and its institutes.

Contact details