Preparatory Course for international prospective students
The International Office offers international prospective students who wish to apply for a Bachelor´s programme at Ulm University, a preparatory course.
In order to enroll in a specific study programme that is taught in German, you need a proof of a recognized language qualification for university entrance (DSH 2 - level).
We offer the opportunity to acquire these language skills directly at Ulm University and to participate in a B2-German language course and/or a DSH-preparation course (DSH = German language test for admission to higher education for foreign study applicants).
At the beginning of your studies, you will be faced with many new challenges. You will arrive at a new city of another culture and start a completely new chapter of your life: your studies. New learning strategies as well as a high degree of self-organization will be prerequisites to successfully overcome these challenges.
To help you get started with your studies in Germany, we want to prepare you comprehensively and sustainably. This preparatory course will not only prepare you linguistically for your studies, but you will become familiar with new learning strategies, your new study and living environment as well as with numerous organizational basics related to your studies.
- Preparatory German language course with final DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang - German language test for admission to higher education for foreign study applicants)
- Specilized German language course
- Tutorial on learning strategies and study organization (learning methods, scientific work, examination forms)
- Mathematical refresher course
- Orientation course (with campus, city, and library tours)
- Student advisory service
- Intercultural training
- Partially study course related lectures or seminars - for example introduction to computer science and programming for beginners
NOTE: With completed B1 level the preparatory course will take 2 semesters, based on B2 level only 1 semester.
The following criteria must be met for applying for the preparatory course:
- Proof of German language skills: completed B1 level at the minimum (according to the Common European Framework for Languages)
- All other admission requirements (except of proof of recognized language certificates for admission to higher education) for the desired study programme at Ulm University
The preparatory course including language courses is currently free of charge,
Ulm University does not charge any additional fees, excepting examination fees.
The fee for "DSH" examination is expected to be 175.00€
The following fees are due for all students (per semester):
|Administrative fee:||70.00 €|
|Student services fee||79.50 €|
|Contribution to the authored student body||12.00 €|
|Total amount||161.50 €|
The amount of living expenses is difficult to quantify, because these may vary from one person to another.
A room for students in Ulm costs about 300.00 € per month. Considering costs for food, clothing, insurance, etc., students usually need at least about 735.00 € to 800.00 € for each month to cover all aspects mentioned above.
Important information and instructions for living and studying in Ulm and at Ulm University can be found at the following website: Welcome to Ulm!
Please apply via uni-assist (in Berlin).
List of application documents required:
- The certificate that entitles you to study in your home country
- Transcripts of records of your previous studies at a foreign university
- Proof of German language skills
- APS for applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam
uni-assist needs these documents in officially certified photocopies. All documents must be translated by a sworn translator in Germany or abroad. English documents must not be translated. Incomplete applications will not be processed. For detailed information in different languages visit the website of uni-assist.
An application at uni-assist will cost 75,00 € for the first university and 15,00 € for each additional university.
The application deadline for summer semester is January 15, for winter semester is July 15. Applications must be delivered by this date to uni-assist in Berlin.
On the application website of uni-assist you will find the Prepatory Course in the category "search study offers" if you enter "Ulm, Universität Ulm" as university. Please choose the "Vorbereitungskurs" for the respective study programme you are interested in studying at Ulm University.
Admission to Preparatory Course
Admission to the Preparatory Course follows a linguistic aptitude / placement test.
The placement test for winter semester takes place in September, the placement test for summer semester takes place in March. The dates will be announced at our webpage.
The number of participants in the preparatory semester is limited. In each language course (B2 language course / DSH-preparation course) are 15 places available.
For this reason, a ranking is based on the grade of the university entrance qualification and the score in the language test. Applicants with a refugee background are given special consideration.
Placement test (in German only)
Die Zulassung zum Vorbereitungssemester erfolgt nach einem sprachlichen Eignungs-/ Einstufungstest.
Der Einstufungstest für das Wintersemester findet im September statt, der Einstufungstest für das Sommersemester findet im März statt. Die Termine werden auf der Homepage der Universität Ulm bekannt gegeben.
Der Einstufungstest orientiert sich an dem schriftlichen Teil der DSH-Prüfung.
Aufbau und Form des Tests sind der DSH-Prüfung ähnlich. Der Einstufungstest gliedert sich in die Teilbereiche Leseverstehen, Hörverstehen, Texproduktion und Grammatik.
Ein Beispiel einer DSH-Prüfung können Sie hier herunterladen:
Viele andere Beispiele der DSH-Prüfung finden Sie auch hier:
Admission to Studies
Applicants who would like to study the following unrestricted Bachelor programs at Ulm University, we can guarantee a study place after the preparatory semester.
For these subjects, a renewed application is not necessary.
- Chemistry (WiSe)
- Chemical Engineering (WiSe)
- Computational Science and Engineering (WiSe)
- Electrical Engineering (WiSe)
- Computer Science (WiSe / SoSe)
- Communikation and Computer Engineering (WiSe)
- Mathematics (WiSe / SoSe)
- Mathematical Biometry (WiSe)
- Media Informatics (WiSe / SoSe)
- Science and Technology (WiSe)
- Physics (WiSe)
- Software Engineering (WiSe / SoSe)
- Chemistry and Management (WiSe)
- Mathematics and Management (WiSe / SoSe)
- Physics and Management (WiSe)
* WiSe - possibly only for winter semester
* WiSe / SoSe - possibly for winter semester as well as summer semester
For applicants who wish to study the following restricted Bachelor programs at the University of Ulm, 50% of the study places are awarded according to the results of the preparatory German course in the preparatory semester of the University of Ulm.
For these admission-restricted subjects, a new application is necessary after the preparatory semester.
These courses are only provided in winter semester.
Placement test for summer semester 2018: March 12, 2018